Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Awesome Coil Gun  (Read 3917 times)

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Awesome Coil Gun
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:13:53 pm »

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/09/impressive_and_slightly_scary_coilg.html

I know it's a bit higher tech level that one normally sees in DF, but, damn I want one!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Coil Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »

Huh. Cool.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:58:37 pm »

Commenter of the video calculates no more than 37 joules of energy in the projectile, which sounds about right.

Jesus, he was shooting metal stakes out of that. It's like a futuristic Vampire killing weapon.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »

Those do look like silver jacket bullets.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:45:56 pm »

That some is some sweet homemade stuff.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »

Yeah, it seems about as powerful as a weak BB Gun.  Still friggin' sweet, though.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »

If it were a railgun that kind of energy input would make for a fairly terrifying muzzle velocity. I suppose one could cut down on the coil and use it as the injector into a railgun mechanism, or use the coils to counter the repulsive effect on the rails.

I've been meaning for years to spend a summer building a coil-injected railgun that doesn't tear itself apart every few shots after my first camera coilgun...disappointed me.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Disposable-camera-coilgun/ only with a shoebox, eight camera caps and a lantern battery.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »

If it were a railgun...
He'd have to keep replacing the rails.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:20:45 pm »

wait, so why do railguns use the energy more efficiently?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:24:06 pm »

wait, so why do railguns use the energy more efficiently?
A coilgun uses magnetic fields much more indirectly.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:37:17 pm »

Essentially, in a coilgun, the coil draws the projectile towards the center of the coil.  The trick is to cut off the power right before the projectile reaches the critical point near the center of the coil where it starts slowing.  You're essentially turning on a big ol' electromagnet and turning it off at juuust the right time so that the metal slug you're throwing doesn't stick to it.

In a railgun, however, the projectile is actually bridging the circuit along the rails (or, rather, the armature connected to the projectile is), and thanks to the funkiness of parallel rotating magnetic fields (that are rotating counter to each other), the projectile gets pushed.

The upside of a coilgun is that nothing has to actually touch the coil.  The projectile passes through the middle, and you get no more wear and tear on the fragile conductors than you'd get in generator (i.e. we can make them last 50+ years).  The downside is that your power->force ratios suck, because you're using less than half the possible magnetic force that you can generate (because the coil has to turn off before the projectile is halfway through the coil).

The upside of a rail gun is that you can use 100% of your magnetic force, all the way down the end of the rail (and it turns off by default once the projectile is out, because the armature is no longer conducting between the rails).  This isn't to say that 1 kJ of electricity turns into 1 kJ of force, but you actually get to use much more of the potential magnetic force.  The downside?  Bridging the circuit like that isn't exactly friendly to the metal, you'll evaporate some of your rail material with each shot.  It's worse if you're aren't using a plasma armature (basically you use a really thin piece of aluminum which vaporizes into plasma), as then you have more drag from the armature which you have to overcome, in addition to the actual dragging of the armature along the rail.  Oh yeah, and your rails really, really, hate each other and want to move away, but only when your projectile is screaming down them at high speed.  So if you don't have those rails really solidly mounted, bending them into uselessness.

Long story short: coilguns will require significantly less maintenance, at the cost of performance.

edit: rails don't attract, they repulse :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:41:52 pm by Astramancer »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »

Could you use a series of coils activating one after the other, as the previous coil shuts off to increase the velocity of the projectile? I imagine the gain would drop after each coil eventually becoming negligible, but there might still be some benefit.
!!&!!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:18:58 pm »

Do you think it could just be an air rifle that has a lot of cool parts on it?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:04 pm »

Could you use a series of coils activating one after the other, as the previous coil shuts off to increase the velocity of the projectile? I imagine the gain would drop after each coil eventually becoming negligible, but there might still be some benefit.

This is the essence of most of the more powerful coilguns; typically sequences of MOSFETs and optical gates turn on the coils in sequence. The problem is that the projectile rapidly gets saturated, so it becomes very inefficient after more than a few.

I wonder if using multiple pairs of rails in series with attached coils to push them together as they fired would help with bending.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 06:19:08 am »

Very, very cool.

Still, the size off it goes to show why gunpowder* is still the energy source of choice.

*or whatever chemicals are used in modern firearms
Pages: [1] 2