Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't butcher Buzzards  (Read 733 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't butcher Buzzards
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:25:09 pm »

Hi I just started playing DF and I have already experienced "Fun" quite a few times ;). But that's not the matter I wanted to ask you about.

You see I created a new huge world, embarked my new fortress and instantly a pack of 8-10 buzzards came flying for my delicious food. My dogs easily took care of them (although one of them lost his tail :( ) and I had a lot of useless Buzzard corpses so I checked them in the wiki and went "HA HA! BONES! No more moody dwarves going berzerk!" thus I built a butcher shop that... didn't work.
No matter if I order to butcher a dead animal or extract from it (although I don't really know what "extraction" does) my butcher said he needs an unrotten nearby corpse.

So I went here in seek of aid and did a few things accordingly:
1. I set the order for my dwarves to gather refuse from outside. (although butcher shop is outside too)
2. I placed a refuse depot for corpses next to my butchery.

Aaand... nothing. I still get the same message.
I remember I always got the message when I ordered butcher to do stuff with dead bodies, setting my own tamed creatures works OK but gathering dead bodies "Hell no!".

I don't know what might be causing this, butcher has both "butchery" and "small animal dissection" labour turned on (although he has no skill at both), all corpses are "fresh" and everything seems to be in order as far as orders go.

Any help?

please...
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Can't butcher Buzzards
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »

The corpses need to be in the stockpile before they'll butcher them, I think. Try giving your butcher only 'haul refuse' as a labor and see what he does.

You said that you have gather refuse from outside on, which would have been my first guess at the problem. You don't have a burrow or anything set up that's restricting your dwarves from going outside, do you?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

press o-r-o which makes your dwarfs gather refuse from outside.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

Butchers have also been kinda moody lately, at least in .12

Sometimes they just won't butcher certain corpses for some reason.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »

I've witnessed this as well (exactly with buzzards, in fact.) It's not just you.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »

The corpses need to be in the stockpile before they'll butcher them, I think. Try giving your butcher only 'haul refuse' as a labor and see what he does.

You said that you have gather refuse from outside on, which would have been my first guess at the problem. You don't have a burrow or anything set up that's restricting your dwarves from going outside, do you?

I have a refuse stockpile set just for corpses. It's right next to the butcher shop and yet it doesn't do anything
Also I have set an "Inside" burrow created (I just started the game on this map) for possible sieges, just so my dwarves don't wonder around letting goblins make a needle stacks out of them but I have no dwarves actually "attached" to it. It's just set to work on alert.

press o-r-o which makes your dwarfs gather refuse from outside.

As said, I already did that.

Butchers have also been kinda moody lately, at least in .12

Sometimes they just won't butcher certain corpses for some reason.

I forgot to mention that I'm playing .13 (maybe it's fixed in .14 but I don't want to possibly screw up my saves for other worlds). But I guess it is indeed a bug that somehow went through versions.

I thought it might have something something to do with the fact that some of the corpses (actually 7 out of 8) are "mutilated" and there fore (possibly) useless, but I have few complete ones and yet butcher doesn't want to do anything with them. Oh well I guess I'll have to use cat bone again... ehhh...
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

Try this:

Set a garbage dump inside your refuse pile.

Set a few of the corpses to be dumped.

Once in the refuse pile, un-forbid them.

It's a long shot, but it might work. If nothing else, it might tell you if the dwarves can't do anything at all with the corpses.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »

Build a butcher's workshop right beside the corpses. As has been stated, they're problematic and seem unwilling to recognise corpses that are more than a few tiles away. And, of course, make sure the corpses haven't been forbidden :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

Try this:

Set a garbage dump inside your refuse pile.

Set a few of the corpses to be dumped.

Once in the refuse pile, un-forbid them.

It's a long shot, but it might work. If nothing else, it might tell you if the dwarves can't do anything at all with the corpses.

The corpses are movable. Placing them in the refuse stockpile was not a problem at all. Some of the corpses are right next to the butcher shop and yet it doesn't work.
I guess my dwarves are just disgusted by a vision of butchering Buzzards :P.

Also I just noticed some of the corpses ALREADY turned into skeletons O_o. I'm surprised by the fact because it's barely one season from their death. Maybe that's the reason? (I noticed that turning corpses from "fresh" to skeletons takes few seasons maybe over a year) It's especially weird since there two perfectly good corpses right next to them.

Build a butcher's workshop right beside the corpses. As has been stated, they're problematic and seem unwilling to recognise corpses that are more than a few tiles away. And, of course, make sure the corpses haven't been forbidden :P

Corpses are also not forbidden :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »

Sounds like it's just a bug. You should report it on Mantis (or at least update a previous entry to note that it's still happening)
Come play Mafia with us!

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »

I will