Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monsters coming from magma  (Read 702 times)

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monsters coming from magma
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

Hi guys!

So I found magma and I set up some spiffy magma forges and smelters and stuff (although I can't seem to get any kilns working, magma or otherwise, even though I've got gypsum and empty bags).... and I had a Magma Man visitor wreak a little havoc.  Nothing my capable dwarf militia couldn't handle, eventually.

I thought the problem was that when I channeled down, it was next to a wall on the lower z-level, so it made a ramp for them to get up.  I built a floor over the hole, and set up a channel in another spot, which didn't create a ramp, nor was the hole next to the ramp.  I thought I had fixed the problem.  A Fire Man told me otherwise.

My question is, can these guys just come up through the magma, even without a ramp to the next z-level?  I'm setting up a squad to be permanently stationed in the magma area, but if there's a way to keep the nasties from coming through the holes I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

-C

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Monsters coming from magma
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »

Creatures that can swim are capable of stepping out of any liquid (of sufficient depth) onto dry land without using a ramp or stairs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

To stop them from entering, first you need to drain the magma, make vertical bars(That won't burst in to flames obviously), build the vertical bars somewhere and fill the magma area again.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »

When you build your magma workshop, all you have to do is make sure one of the impassable tiles (the dark green ones) is over the hole, this will prevent creatures coming up through the magma.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »

When you build your magma workshop, all you have to do is make sure one of the impassable tiles (the dark green ones) is over the hole, this will prevent creatures coming up through the magma.

Ah hah!  Thank you.  What's weird is I think I had all the workshops built with the impassable tiles over all the holes when the magma man came up, but I can't remember.  I may have still been in the process of building and had holes open.  I certainly do at the moment.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:54:44 pm »

That and there is a way to keep enemies out of your fort for good (well, almost). Dig a magma reservoir by making a straight line from the magma sea and out. Then dig a few straight lines out perpendicularly. Then smooth the final stone between the reservoir and the magma and carve a fortification into it. Magma will fill your reservoir and the indestructible fortification will keep enemies from entering.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »

Some enemies can swim through fortifications.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:02 pm »

Presumably including firemen, especially since they're made of flame.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 04:07:18 am »

Simplest way to ensure safety is closed hatch. Buliding destroyers cannot destroy things over themself, so from down, this is truly impassable tile.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 04:27:15 am »

Simplest way to ensure safety is closed hatch. Buliding destroyers cannot destroy things over themself, so from down, this is truly impassable tile.

Interesting! I didn't know that.