Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Wont' Sleep in THEIR Beds  (Read 874 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Dwarves Wont' Sleep in THEIR Beds
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:07 pm »

I have a particularly weird case.  I have one assigned bed for every single dwarf in my fortress.  Yet, for some reason, they prefer to sleep in random beds...  usually the one that is closest to them, as long as it's a bed room.  I've put a lot of effort in to giving everyone their own little room, so is there a way to make them actually use it?

It's also significant that they use their rooms since I want to start a project.  The Brewer's bed will be connected to the brewery, miners will have staircases leading to my mining project, etc...  it defeats the purpose if they won't go to their rooms.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Wont' Sleep in THEIR Beds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »

Yeah, dwarves just kinda do that. Short of locking the dorfs in their rooms, it's just a craps shoot that they'll sleep in their own bed. It's really only frustrating when your mayor or king refuses to sleep in their own room, then goes on a murderous rampage for the shoddy living quarters they choose to use.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »

Wasn't this supposedly fixed with .13?

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »

You could always force the issue using burrows.  They'll stay in their assigned area then... just don't forget to let them access the dining room and booze stockpile too!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »

OP, what version are you playing?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:26 pm »

It was fixed in .13, but if you imported a save you have to deconstruct every bed and then rebuild/assign them.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »

OP, what version are you playing?
The stuff Lazy Noob Pack came with.  Version 0.31.12 I think.

EDIT:
Also having fun with them eating in the dining room.  They'd much rather use the personal offices I carved out for future use.  I'd really like them to use the dining room though (it's set as a meeting hall), since I need the happy thoughts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

Well that is why it's not working. Not sleeping in their own beds is a known bug in .12

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

Is there an easy way to update all of this without losing my save?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »

Is there an easy way to update all of this without losing my save?
I don't know if there is a lazy noob pack for .14 yet. Once there is you can just transfer your save and deconstruct/rebuild all of your beds and reassign them.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »

I thought it was fixed in .13 (still on 31.12 until this fortress dies horribly (read: hilariously)) but wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to spread around misinformation.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »

It was fixed in .13, but if you imported a save you have to deconstruct every bed and then rebuild/assign them.

What do you mean by deconstruct / rebuild them?

Do you mean just assign them Free, then re-assign them? Or do you mean literally move the bed out of the room and replace with another bed?

If the latter, that will be a PITA because I have 206 dwarves to handle then.  :o
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »

What do you mean by deconstruct / rebuild them?

Do you mean just assign them Free, then re-assign them? Or do you mean literally move the bed out of the room and replace with another bed?

If the latter, that will be a PITA because I have 206 dwarves to handle then.  :o
I'm sorry that you have so many beds, but yeah as far as I know that is the only way to fix it with a save imported into .13 or .14 from a previous version. You must remove each bed, build it again, then assign it to a dwarf.