Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Beautiful people are ugly  (Read 5474 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Beautiful people are ugly
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:54:53 am »

Could be a sortof fanboy-ish thing.  You defend your preference by painting all the others as terrible.  Think games consoles.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:37 am »

The thing is that, the ugliness these people tend to insult is usually them overemphasizing some detail on a person's face while ignoring everything else. I've heard people call Angelina Jolie ugly and subsequently give me the impression they think her lips take up half of her face. That sort of thing.
!!&!!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:13:19 am »

I've heard people call Angelina Jolie ugly and subsequently give me the impression they think her lips take up half of her face. That sort of thing.

Also, she has man-shoulders.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 11:38:50 am »

Did you find Dani de Vito hawt in any of his movies, Vector? He did have a rather good role as the Penguin :P

Haven't seen him in any.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:02 pm »

It's part of a celebrity's job to look good. They have to lose (or gain) weight, they have to redo their faces, they have to write music that pleases the masses. Calling someone ugly is sort of like saying they're not doing their job, I guess.

Meh, it's just another personal attack. Personal attacks make the attacker look bad more often than not. As much as I hate people who call others ugly, the one I hate the most is the "you can't spell" attack.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

Did you find Dani de Vito hawt in any of his movies, Vector? He did have a rather good role as the Penguin :P

Haven't seen him in any.
You haven't seen Batman Returns?!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »

Nope, never.  Should I?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »

I reserve the term Ugly for people who are spiteful, hateful, destructive, and cruel. The rest, as one of my professors once said, is just Difficult Beauty.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:28 pm »

Haven't seen him in any.
That's impossible. He's (was?) everywhere!
Love, scriver~

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

Nope, never.  Should I?
Depends on whether you want to be friends with me. You see, my Dad forbids me to be friends with people who don't like Batman.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:02 pm »

If someone didn't already say it, can you base attractiveness based on completely visual cues? I can barely tell if I'd like someone from a photograph, but if I saw a few second long clip of them doing whatever they were doing for the picture, I'd know more. But even then, I'd have to spend some time interacting with them on a non-official/polite/impression level before making a decision.

Unless we're going to play the definition game, and argue over attractiveness or interest or 'I'd like to be around X' or whatever.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 02:37:29 pm »

I can't say I find female actors attractive. They're all just too perfect, in a way that makes me think a second uncanny vally exists after how normal humans look, for people who look too much like an ideal human. It reminds me of the G-Man in that they're trying to act like a normal person, and it freaks me the fuck out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

I can't say I find female actors attractive. They're all just too perfect, in a way that makes me think a second uncanny vally exists after how normal humans look, for people who look too much like an ideal human. It reminds me of the G-Man in that they're trying to act like a normal person, and it freaks me the fuck out.
Yes, I tend to get the Uncanny Valley gibe when I pass through channels like MTV and E!
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 06:56:10 pm »

Nope, never.  Should I?
Depends on whether you want to be friends with me. You see, my Dad forbids me to be friends with people who don't like Batman.

... *puts movie on hold from local library*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »

Aside from, and likely in addition to, the second uncanny valley thing (and indeed such a thing is theorized), I think this quote sums it up pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjj0vgZtJy0
Pages: 1 [2] 3