Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 10476 times)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 07:05:15 am »

I really really like how this was a simple question about, "Can you milk this and make cheese?" and now it is all about, "Let's just try and milk everything, whatever we can't milk lets make milkable anyways."
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2010, 08:48:28 am »

I've been on an agricultural economy kick lately, building up huge stockpiles of prepared meals and buying out whole caravans. I want to incorporate cheese-making as a key part of that method, but my problem is I can never remember to milk the herd. I always forget that milking is a thing, so I go four or five seasons without making any cheese.

Also, I usually have several kitchens making lavish meals all the time, so more often than not when I do remember to order milking, the milk gets used in roasts before it can be turned into cheese.

If I set milk to be non-cookable in the kitchen screen, does it remember that setting across inventory depletions? That is to say, if I set cow milk to be non-cookable, then use all my cow milk to make cow cheese, will the cow milk be automatically set back to cookable the next time I have some in my stockpile?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2010, 09:47:34 am »

My research with booze says yes, things reset to their default cooking state when you deplete them. It irritates me, having to re-forbid all of the exotic alcohol every time my dwarves drink it.

WORKAROUND: Dump one unit of every foodstuff/alcohol and ignore them forever. Dumping causes automatic forbidding, so they'll stay that way forever.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2010, 11:19:39 am »

You know what's good about milking?
It gets water out of the bucket.

Then the milk goes in a barrel, and no more unusable bucket!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:57 am »

I have to say it....

CHEESE!  FOR EVERYONE!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

If you have problems with the tug-o-war bug then turn off the animal hauling labor for non milkers, (or use burrows to keep non milkers away from the cows/horses/donkeys/purring maggots/camels.)  and if you have 2-3 dwarfs who are dedicated milkers/cheese makers and one workshop for them to milk at, with sufficient animals they will never stop milking.  have another workshop for purely cheese making and you're all set!
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:08 pm »

Well personally, I think you should dedicate your fort to Cheese. Infact, why not sacrifice all of your coins and fuds to me cheese?

Dedicate a fort to Cheese? Hmm...
Perhaps we should construct the castle walls and exterior with a yellow stone and build it roughly in the shape of a cheese round, with a triangular slice cut out? (Like Cheese's avatar pic) :D

Six pages of pure Dwarf Fortress cheesiness?
Like that old cheese commercial slogan goes:
"Behold, the power of cheese!"

You know, that'd probably make a good sig...

EDIT: Here's a few of those cheese commercials I mentioned:

Christmas Cheese Commercial
Ahh The Power Of Cheese
Behold The Power Of Cheese!

And while I'm at it, I can't help but mention these vids:

The Cheese Rap
Cheese Song
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:09:57 pm by bsperan »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »

Whenever I buy cheese ... no matter how much I buy ... the dwarves eat it up almost instantly.

They fecking love cheese and I fecking love my dwarves. CHEESE TO ALL!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »

I thought I'd mention this here for those who may have missed it.
There is a funny toon on the Dwarf Fortress Wiki about cheese:

DF Cheese

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2010, 09:20:57 pm »

Very many funny cartoons about Dwarf Fortress. Now where are those two comic threads...

I've never bothered much with cheese though, I find it's easier to just butcher all animals on migration. Keeps the FPS down and there's no food shortages anyway! I do like to buy it from caravans when I have an overflow of 1000 DBs from all the masterwork stone crafts.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:30 am »

I suggest we make
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
milkable, and finally have a use for them/

mmmmm...
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2010, 03:36:16 am »

elf cheese you be too light and fluffy....like a dessert, dwarves want something thick and flavorful...and doubles as a weapon.

elf meat would be good though...prolly with psychedelic properties.  im for making cannibalism a switch to turn on/off in times of famine/woe/spiraling moods
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]