Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 10477 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

hmmm...So bring a breeding pair of both horses and donkeys?  selectively breed them up to muscular/gigantic/fat butcher all mules as a meat source (or save them for emergency food supplies.  culling the male horses/donkeys should be enough for a while) and use that to establish an early dairy industry, then import cows or camels later on?  Or would it be better to bring 2 breeding pairs of horses or donkeys?  This would prevent the birthing of mules (so faster herd growth) but then every donkey/horse that enters the map would need to be culled to prevent mules from interfering with the dairy herd...(this is why I bring cows.  they might cost more, but they dont spew out mules that are only useful for meat supplies.  Surprisingly, mules provide more meat than donkeys or horses.  buy several female horses and a single male donkey if you want a cheap meat supply.) 

Wow i am being a little disjointed but oh well.  what about maggots?  How easy/difficult are they to acquire?  If i modded my game to make them purchasable on embark (or from traders later on) what would an acceptable price be?  their current value of 10 seems much too low in my opinion...

And why are camels so frakking expensive (on embark?) 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

Mules, in Dwarf Fortress, are not born from donkeys or horses.  Mules are animals without parents, magically created out of nothing off-screen.  You do not need to every worry about any of your animals accidentally giving birth to a mule.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »

Really?  Because I seem to have seen mules spring up without migrants bringing them in...

Also, if that is true then that simplifies my life...I feel that cheeses from different animals should have different values...AND WHY ARENT CATS MILKABLE?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:07:13 pm by Xenos »
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 02:09:42 pm »

hmmm...So bring a breeding pair of both horses and donkeys?  selectively breed them up to muscular/gigantic/fat butcher all mules as a meat source (or save them for emergency food supplies.  culling the male horses/donkeys should be enough for a while) and use that to establish an early dairy industry, then import cows or camels later on?  Or would it be better to bring 2 breeding pairs of horses or donkeys?  This would prevent the birthing of mules (so faster herd growth) but then every donkey/horse that enters the map would need to be culled to prevent mules from interfering with the dairy herd...(this is why I bring cows.  they might cost more, but they dont spew out mules that are only useful for meat supplies.  Surprisingly, mules provide more meat than donkeys or horses.  buy several female horses and a single male donkey if you want a cheap meat supply.) 

Wow i am being a little disjointed but oh well.  what about maggots?  How easy/difficult are they to acquire?  If i modded my game to make them purchasable on embark (or from traders later on) what would an acceptable price be?  their current value of 10 seems much too low in my opinion...

And why are camels so frakking expensive (on embark?)

Well, you are buying MAGGOTS. Why would you pay a lot?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »

There is no breeding of/for Mules as yet. The only way to get them is to buy them.

If you're buying 4 animals I recommend getting both Donkeys & Horse 'cos the free animal is randomly selected from the available draft animals (i.e. Mule, Donkey, Horse, 1-hump Camel, or 2-hump Camel. Never seen anything else on a vanilla embark), so with Horses & Donkeys from a Civ that doesn't offer Camels you only lose out if you get the dang mule.

I assume the expense of Camels is because you get more from butchering them than from a Cow.

As for the purrring maggots, I suspect an aspect of the low value is they're Exotic Pets in vanilla, thus (in vanilla) requiring a DM, also I think they're normally only available in Caverns 2 & 3 (but may be misinterpreting the wiki).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010, 02:12:33 pm »

Really?  Because I seem to have seen mules spring up without migrants bringing them in...
I'm pretty sure it's true.  There is nothing in the raw files that even hints at mules coming from horse-donkey crossbreeding, nor is there any clear way that you could specify that even in theory.  It would have to be hard-coded, which seems unlikely given how the raws are set up.  I've never seen a mule being born despite having raised horses and donkeys many times, so unless someone has documentation I'm inclined to believe that mules can only be generated when the game decides to create random animals brought by migrants or traders.

Also, if that is true then that simplifies my life...I feel that cheeses from different animals should have different values...AND WHY ARENT CATS MILKABLE?
Why aren't goats milkable?  Or elephants?  You can always mod them to be milkable on your own if you so desire, but once you start going down that road it raises questions as to the realism of the DF milking system.  Nearly any mammal should be milkable, but the quality and quantity of the milk should vary tremendously from animal to animal, and animals should need to give birth before they'll start giving milk.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »

Swarf Dwarf Fortress is not a realism game, so no, not everything should me milk able.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:24 pm »

There is no breeding of/for Mules as yet. The only way to get them is to buy them.

If you're buying 4 animals I recommend getting both Donkeys & Horse 'cos the free animal is randomly selected from the available draft animals (i.e. Mule, Donkey, Horse, 1-hump Camel, or 2-hump Camel. Never seen anything else on a vanilla embark), so with Horses & Donkeys from a Civ that doesn't offer Camels you only lose out if you get the dang mule.

I assume the expense of Camels is because you get more from butchering them than from a Cow.

As for the purrring maggots, I suspect an aspect of the low value is they're Exotic Pets in vanilla, thus (in vanilla) requiring a DM, also I think they're normally only available in Caverns 2 & 3 (but may be misinterpreting the wiki).

i noticed that when i mod muskox to be on any terrian, they pop up in my embark animal screen, and i always get two muskox that pull the wagon. always.

i also get more stuff in caravans because they always use muskox.
turning muskox into all-terrain animal is the best thing that you can ever do
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »

Not true, turn the elephant into an all terrain animal. ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to try milking a cat, and I bet your dwarves agree.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:06 pm »

Well since dwarves are basically the pets of the cat, I doubt they would put up with being milked.

If all mammals can be milked, theoretically, why not make it so? If we had mermaid bone-harvesting industries, why not have a elf and/or human POW dairy farm?  ;D

And if Dwarf Fortress mermaids are the kind of mermaid where the upper half is the human one, why not just milk them too? We've already mastered how to farm them.

....And hey, why not just milk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   :-[  :'(  :o

It could be useful in times of famine. And would certainly make LPs interesting.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 12:19:37 am »

Well since dwarves are basically the pets of the cat, I doubt they would put up with being milked.

If all mammals can be milked, theoretically, why not make it so? If we had mermaid bone-harvesting industries, why not have a elf and/or human POW dairy farm?  ;D

And if Dwarf Fortress mermaids are the kind of mermaid where the upper half is the human one, why not just milk them too? We've already mastered how to farm them.

It could be useful in times of famine. And would certainly make LPs interesting.

...Uh...mermaid cattle?  make them common domestic creatures... ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 12:23:11 am »

You mean they weren't already?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:01 am »

You mean they weren't already?

Embarkable ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 12:46:13 am »

Swarf Dwarf Fortress is not a realism game, so no, not everything should me milk able.
Must..... resist..... urge.... to... create... Smurf..... Fortress....
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6