Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .31.14, is it worth it?  (Read 1769 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
.31.14, is it worth it?
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

I have a pretty decent fort going right now in .31.12 and I was wondering if it was worth it to upgrade to .14 or should I just stick to .12?  I'm mostly concerned about world stability, sprawl, and whether hospitals got fixed.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .31.14, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Sprawl is way down and I've had no stability problems. Can't vouch for the hospitals though. Couldn't get them working in .12, haven't played enough in .14.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »

It's fine. Just no utilities yet.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

It's fine. Just no utilities yet.

Though since its mostly bugfixes, I don't expect .14 compatible versions to take too long. .14 didn't change any core mechanics like .13 did. (I.e. world gen et al)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

Any idea about the hospitals?  I'd really like to get my brewer back to brewing booze and not sitting around on his duff in the hospital all day.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:49 pm »

I don't believe hospitals were touched in any way according to the release notes, but I haven't had any problems (that were gamebreaking) in my hospitals in .12.  What's wrong with your brewer/hospital staff?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:33 pm »

I don't believe hospitals were touched in any way according to the release notes, but I haven't had any problems (that were gamebreaking) in my hospitals in .12.  What's wrong with your brewer/hospital staff?

Doctors aren't able to fill a bucket to apply a cast.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »

Yeah, that's a known bug with some really rough workarounds.  My recommendation is get rid of all the gypsum powder you own (or forbid it) and just use splints.  I believe splints can do almost everything a cast can except for something like a colossal all-body compound fracture.  I've been using splints exclusively in my last few forts with no powder and have yet to have one dwarf get stuck in the hospital.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:09 pm »

Thank god, I finally got him back to brewing my high quality booze.  I'm getting rid of all gypsum from now on.  Thanks for that.  It was a left leg wound and he had been lying there for a season when I saved and determined to think of a way to get him back.  I was running desperately low on high quality booze there too.

Edit:  I guess I'll update after this fort, just to be on the safe side, I really like this fort, lots of steel production makes me happy.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »

Ya to keep hospitals from becomeing useless, dont make soap or gypsum. Without those 2 things they manage to work rather well.

Im sticking with .13 as it seems most of the fixes (besides the immigrant one which i dont really mind) effect world gen which doesnt matter if u have a fort u enjoy started... that and theirs no graphics packs out for .14 yet

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »

Looks like DT is updated, but not IronHand or Pheobus (I use the latter). ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:37:13 pm »

Ya to keep hospitals from becomeing useless, dont make soap or gypsum.

I'd keep soap around since it helps fight infections.  You actually don't need a lot of it, like one or two bars.  1 bar provides 150 units of soap or something which takes a while to use up and if you have some bags/coffers in your hospital, it will be stored there and wont cause the "cleaning self" spam.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »

I'd keep soap around since it helps fight infections.  You actually don't need a lot of it, like one or two bars.  1 bar provides 150 units of soap or something which takes a while to use up and if you have some bags/coffers in your hospital, it will be stored there and wont cause the "cleaning self" spam.
Two or three rock coffers (or wooden chests) go a long way to making the hospital work better ... but cabinets don't do squat, as I learned the hard way.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »

Well that was really surprisingly quick! DT the same day?  Time for tinkering :)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »

they dont take it from the hospital? wasnt aware, disregard my soap comment then