Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What things impressed and suprised you in dwarf fortress.  (Read 2943 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What things impressed and suprised you in dwarf fortress.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 06:45:40 am »

What impressed me the most was how everything is procedurally generated. Nothing is planned, all the civs are just put down in the generated world and interact with each other (semi)realistically. There's so much depth and detail in every world and its history and it was all made in a few minutes.

And another world with as much depth could be made in a few more minutes.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 10:41:18 am »

Five minutes into my first fort a bear decapitated my woodcutter
Thats when i realized i would love this game forever
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 11:10:05 am »

Pretty much everything, I remember the first day I became an adventurer as an axeman. I went into a town, attacked somebody, I cut off every limb piece by piece. Really, I cut off this dude's feet, then his lower legs, then his upper legs, then his hands, then his lower arms, then his upper arm then I cut him in half.

I love this game.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 12:55:09 pm »

How awesome adventure mode is even when it's the red headed stepchild of the game.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 12:19:46 am »

My second fort in 0.31.01, I caved in one cavern through the top of another cavern. I didn't even know you could do that.
くコ:彡

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 02:17:48 am »

The development and fanbase. So dedicated, varied, and talented all around. Reading Boatmurdered and Syrupleaf (still!) and those are nothing less than epic tales.

Reading prepared me for a lot of stuff, but everything still got me. The first thing that really struck me across the face was a few forts ago, where I had several fisherdwarves run halfway to the next county to fish, and something (an alligator, i want to say. Carp, probably) drug them in, mangled and drowned them, and I couldn't find out where.

And then I got an master swimmer fisherdwarf immigrant. He went fishing at the cursed but appearently amazing fishing hole, soon got attacked, said "Naw, the hell with that," threw down his pole and dove in. Beat the crap out of the creature, crawled back out, and went right back to fishing.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:36 am »

This is gonna sound crazy, but for me it's the insane little things toady thought up. The perfect example for what i mean can be seen in the cats. They're moody, THEY pick the owner, and when they finally pick a dwarf they like, they bring him treats(dead vermin) and lay them at his feet. Exactly like a real cat does! When I first realized what was going on, I just smiled and started laughing. And even though my wife couldn't care less, I had to tell her about it. It's such a little tiny thing, and you would never expect to see it in a game, but that's what makes the difference for me.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 07:59:05 am »

Murderer simulator.

Period.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:55 am »

The sheer sandboxiness and realism of everything.  This is seriously a one-of-a-kind game.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 10:20:39 am »

What impress me most: When you drag a puppy to butcher, its mom and siblings follow right after, all the way and wait there til it get killed.
What surprise me most (all the times): Anything can die in one shot.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 02:00:33 pm »

Alot of things mentioned here that i havent noticed myself.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

It's just so much more game than I'm otherwise used to.  I will search out or avoid games based on their level of depth and complexity and it's become devilishly hard to find a game that can keep me playing for more than a week or two.  I've been playing DF non-stop for over a month now and I still haven't seen or experienced even a quarter of it.  There's always more going on than i realize and nearly limitless possibilities.

If only other developers would spend as much time on graphics as Toady does.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:01 pm »

I was neither impressed nor surprised. I was pleased, sure, and happy it exists, but nothing quite unexpected.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »

The moment for me was in my first fort, in 40d.  I was doing the Capt Duck tutorial, and got curios.  "How well simulated could this be?"  I dug into a river to find out. Miner was killed instantly by the flow. Fort began to fill. "Wow, thats amazing.... Oh crap Oh crap!" I tried to wall it off, but the mason got there too slow, so I fell back and walled off the other side of the room.  Lost my entire production floor and 3 dwarfs total.  That's when I fell in love with this game. I eventually got that area safely drained too, and was quite proud of it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

The fact that magma isn't just colored water with a damage script added - it actually behaves differently.  That's priceless.

The fact that everything has so much depth.  Especially the geology, which is so good it has the same annoyances real life geology can actually produce.  Like aquifers, and mines flooding if you dig into a river.

And to top it off...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3