Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What things impressed and suprised you in dwarf fortress.  (Read 2944 times)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What things impressed and suprised you in dwarf fortress.
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:34:21 pm »

For me i remember the first time i embarked on the edge of a haunted lake,to my suprise all the fish were zombies and came flopping towards my dwarfs in a rather funny but spooky manner only to be wiped by a cat.Also was impressed to see the ocean had waves washing onto the coastline.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: What things impressed and suprised you in dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:46:57 pm »

I fell in love with all the physics defying devices you could make at the drop of a hat. Perpetual motion device, anyone?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:15:44 pm »

EVERYTHING.

Highlights include the Dwarven Calculator, mermaid farms, war elephants and axes made out of pig tails.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:59:06 pm by ungulateman »
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »

For me its the level of freedom you get in dwarf fortress. Just watching what others have done and planning my own uberstructions to build.

Also the extensive level of (para)realism.

I mean, there's games where its like "a mine has collapsed" when you have yet to build any mines then, "five workers died."

In dwarf fortress if a mine collapses it isn't the massive amounts of rubble needing re-mined out that is the problem, it's the fact that those five dwarves had families which are now berzerking all over your fort and killing everyone in a grand bloody mess.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »

The fact that the ridiculous amount of complexity is what leads to the ridiculous amount of depth. All these crazy things the game is tracking, most of them of minimal importance except perhaps for flavor, all of them contributing in their own tiny ways to massive macroscopic events and changes.

And perhaps more importantly, the fact that every time I'm fiddling with a mechanic and I think "Hey, it'd be cool if X" I end up going and finding out that Toady has already been planning that feature for years. So one of these days, yes I will have intrafortress politics, and meaningful trade relations, and religion, and....

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:24:37 pm »

Complexity, freedom, detail.

It was intimidating at first, but after maybe my 5th fort, I got the hang of it. After working on Bloodfist (and reclaiming it several times) I really got the hang of it. Heck, to the point of remodeling an old fort (or more like rebuilding it from the ground-up (or down)), and using what I learned to make it better.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:31:56 am »

That i have to purposely half kill my men to train my doctors  :D
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

Extremely graphic violence without graphics!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:18:59 am »

I remember the first time I saw a disemboweled but still alive creature dragging it's intestines behind it. That got me.
!!&!!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:17 am »

The injury system and how to die.

Me: Where is my dwarfs health bar?

Me: Hold on... This has a body part system?

Me: AWESOME! Time to go mutilate myself!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:16 am »

When I realised you could see the bucket moving between z-levels when a well is in use.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

A lot of things, but the ocean waves were one of the first things I remember impressed me a lot.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

fox967

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »

Definitely the health system. I love how dwarfs get injured, and that everything is there.

I remember once i started playing and for the first time, in fortress mode, i encounter carp. Soon after, my fisherdwarf got dragged under, but somehow, managed to clamber out of the river, and i noticed hit arm had been ripped off, and he was bleeding everywhere.

But what really got me was that, when i looked closer at the dwarf, i noticed the game told me he had water covering his various body parts, like his second finger, left hand, etc.

Im weird :D
Quote from: Argoroth
Quote from: NRN_R_Sumo1
at this point I'd wager on it being either a penis or a beard.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Of course it's either a penis or a beard!

Sx2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 12:29:55 am »

the fact that i recently discovered a 5z-lvl cavern surrounded by water down at 50z-lvls, then then upon breaking a hole in the wall, i discovered an natural stairway going downwards. fearing the worst, i sent my brave squad of hammerdwarves to explore the bottom, and i discovered another cavern 5z-lvls later, and that cavern was 40z-levels deep, mainly made of empty space, and on its bottom is a large body of water with a small corner of land from which my dwarves emerged soon after to discover giant toads and lots of spider webs. excellent.

and digging an extra 10z lvls later, i discovered another cavern. with more water.

caverns are like the most beautiful things in the game. zoom out entirely, then scroll between z-levels and behold the breathtaking masterpiece of toady. it was hard to imagine the layout of the land when i first started DF coz its so blocky.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 06:32:55 am »

I suppose it's the general idiosynchricity of it all. The idea that not only is there more than one person interested in playing an ASCII-based Tolkien/Wagnerian/Gygax based city-sim, but that there are thousands of them. I also am impressed in Toady's willingness to see it through, through thick and thin. Perseverence is the most dwarvenly of traits.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2 3