Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications  (Read 771 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Fortifications
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:22 pm »

So, How far away do enemy archers have to be to actually get a penalty for trying to shoot through fortifications? It seems 6 tiles away and 1 Z-level up still pretty much equals a guaranteed hit, even to the point of firing through both walls of fortifications diagonally. I saw the reverse fortification design, and will try that one next time. Is there an ideal range for forward-facing defenses, though?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:30:51 am »

anything that isn't flush against the fortification suffers an accuracy penaltly, including your own dwarves, btw
also, accuracy is based on skill, so that guy raping your marksdwarves was probably an elite blowgunner/bowman/crossgoblin, cause generally those guys are good enough to ignore the fortifications
I think from 6 away and 1 its about 10% of shots from regular opponents
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:48 am »

From what i discovered Fortifications are pointless at the moment, it is better to spend your time and resources into training your dwarfs to elite shield user which makes them pretty much invulnerable to ranged attacks since they will deflect all the time
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:54 am »

Ahhh, makes sense then. Thanks for the replies.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:53:18 pm »

With my fortifications 1 z-level up, I have yet to see a non-elite archer even fire a single arrow at my dwarves, so I wouldn't say they're useless.  But yeah, elites ignore them.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:32 pm »

With my fortifications 1 z-level up, I have yet to see a non-elite archer even fire a single arrow at my dwarves, so I wouldn't say they're useless.  But yeah, elites ignore them.

Quoted for truthiness.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

I suppose the next project will be some way of anchoring lever-operated shutters in front of the fortifications so I can close off the front side of defense for archer groups, forcing them through the blender in the main entryway. I could extend walls out 4 tiles apart and hang doors from them, connected to levers in a statue garden. if someone takes a bad shot, swing the shutters closed and swap for a fresh archer. Would that block view of gobos so the wounded could be safely trucked back to the hospital?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:26:13 pm »

I dont think that would work, given the delay you would have with the lever.  but you could maybe have some sort of shutter linked to a pressure plate, so when an archer was standing on the plate it would open and when he moved off it would close.

I think that might still make more problems than it is worth.  I find it's best to use an elevated parapet or line of arrow loops with a single-tile walkway behind them.  and barracks behind that, so your archers are always on the ready.  or as ready as those lazy little gits can be.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »

Ranged weapons are useless against invading armies. Well okay, not useless but totally inferior to what you should be doing. Traps, drawbridges and burrows will protect you best. Dwarves are thinkers first and fighters second. Remember that.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »

Lever + door doesn't have the delay that lever + drawbridge/floodgate does, so it wouldn't be that much lag. I was thinking about having something to close up before the ranged gobos could get that close to the fort.

And yes, I have a drawbridge and trap corridor too. Lower bridge, blender, raise bridge, clean/un-jam traps, retreat to burrow and repeat gets kinda tiresome after a bit. Besides, having a Giantess killed off by bolt to the spleen is amusing.