Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-COM Complete Pack  (Read 3823 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
X-COM Complete Pack
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »

I noticed the X-COM complete pack is nice and cheap on Steam, and was wondering if the games actually worked via Steam. Anyone got any knowledge of problems etc.?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Complete Pack
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:38 pm »

If you can run DosBox you can run them, Steam uses it to run them.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »

You may want to modify the CPU settings on DOSBox though, the games can be really slow on it.  Also you should probably get XComUtil which seems to stabilize them a bit, otherwise you get a lot of crashes after a while.
Shoes...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:26:49 pm »

All right, cheers.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »

I bought it a while back. I think I had to bump the speed in 1 and 2, but other than that they ran fine. Apoc didn't seem to have any new problems on steam, though it does crash every 4 or 5 missions.

You are not able to use a Joystick in Interceptor. I forget the reason, but everywhere I looked said it was impossible. Granted, I did not look that hard. Enforcer didn't seem to run right at all, but I never had the desire to play it anyways.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »

XCOMUtil is refusing to run. It keeps saying "Game not found in this directory", despite being in the UFO Defence directory.

EDIT: Disregard that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:50:37 pm by Simmura McCrea »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 02:50:23 pm »

Try downloading the installer and when it asks for an installation path do C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM\
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »

I bought all 5 for really cheap back during that summer sale they had, dunno about the 4 sequels (haven't got around to them yet), but the original runs perfectly.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »

Dear god this is hard. 2 missions brought 10 casualties.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 03:56:11 pm »

Steam actually has DOS-BOX incorporated into the download and executable for that?

Man, I hope those guys made some serious money off that deal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

I'd be kinda' interested to know how that went down, m'self. Dosbox is apparently open source, but I couldn't find information on what license it's under during a cursory search of their website an'wiki, so gods only know if th'steam folks were required to toss money back at the dosbox folks.

<Moments later>
Seems it's GPL3 'ccording to the forum. Guess I missed something on the front page or whatever. Either way, I can only guess steam isn't doing something legally fishy by charging something involving a free program. I'd assume they're charging for the game instead of the dosbox emulator.

So I guess the answer to the question "Does the dosbox folks get a cut" is... probably not? Don't really know my way around all that license rigmarole.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »

I seriously doubt the guys responsible for Dosbox get a cut. I mean, it's not like you can't easily obtain it. I seriously doubt GOG also give them a cut either.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:33:17 pm »

That makes me sad. Although I guess it depends on what license Dos-box was created and all that other junk. Still....it's a great program, it strikes me as wrong Valve of all people gets to just use it for free.

Ah well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:48:55 pm »

It would be one thing if they were distributing it illegally or something, but it's a free program you can get off the internet in two seconds, Valve just went through the trouble of bundling and configuring it for you.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

It would be one thing if they were distributing it illegally or something, but it's a free program you can get off the internet in two seconds, Valve just went through the trouble of bundling and configuring it wrong for you.
Fixed.
Pages: [1] 2