Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released  (Read 57506 times)

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2010, 05:56:14 am »

I have now tried 0.31.14 on two different Macs. It appears to work just fine on Mac OSX 10.5.8, but does not run at all on 10.4.11.

Is this going to be resolved in later versions, or do I need to start looking for a new computer?

I can't get it to work on 10.5.8 - did you have to do any kind of work around?? I will try again now

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2010, 06:45:29 am »

I have now tried 0.31.14 on two different Macs. It appears to work just fine on Mac OSX 10.5.8, but does not run at all on 10.4.11.

Is this going to be resolved in later versions, or do I need to start looking for a new computer?
It'll be resolved if at all possible, and I'm quite sure it's possible. The only reason it hasn't been already is because, well, I don't have a mac. This is not a showstopper, but it's definitely a show-slower-downer.

Hooray and thank you! And no hurry--I'm in the middle of grading midterms, so I won't have time to play for a while anyway.  :)

I can't get it to work on 10.5.8 - did you have to do any kind of work around?? I will try again now

Nope; just downloaded it and ran it as is.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2010, 10:28:40 am »

I'm just about to download this new version. Is there anything I should know about this before I download it, given that I have never had a successful 0.31 fort?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2010, 10:58:00 am »

It's our job to sit back, watch the marvelous unfold, and play DF. If he didn't want us playing it, it wouldn't be freely available to download.

Except (at least for me) the game is currently unplayable.  Too many crashes, game-ending bugs and events that result in my walking away frustrated.  I hate the thought of waiting years before the game is done, and would love to have periods of stability in between each development cycle.
You're going to need to give details. Most people don't have these crashes and bugs. If it's FPS death and related stuff, that's another matter.

People are thinking of this game like a conventional, commercial game. It's a person's life project that happens to fit the definition of "game". Benefits, efficiency, stability - all these only matter for commercial games that need to succeed and make profits. Ok fine, so that's too sweeping a statement and Toady does need donations to keep afloat, but it's food for thought.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2010, 05:40:05 pm »

I, too am having problems with running the game. I can not get 31.13 or 31.14 to run. I click the shell script, say "run", and nothing happens. my operating system is basic ubuntu, fully updated. 31.12 still works fine. Has there been some change in the game during the last two versions that would cause this?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2010, 05:52:46 pm »

I've noticed that when using "Play now!" your lumberjack dorf don't have any doctor skills. Just wondering, was this intentional?
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2010, 06:05:57 pm »

Why would the lumberjack be the medic? He has enough to do chopping trees and making beds, bins, and barrels.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:53 pm »

You're going to need to give details.

I didn't want to clutter up this space with my issues, and have been seeking help in the appropriate areas.   My lockups occur when zooming or placing buildings, and I believe it is related to the new TrueType stuff - and though I am not currently using it, my system is not stable using 2D mode.  Unfortunately, the popular graphic packs have garbled text when not using TrueType/2D so its a no-win situation for me unless I want to run straight-ASCII mode.  Both my laptop and desktop are suffering from this, so perhaps it is an Nvidia driver issue.

Anyways...  its the bugs big and small that tend to detract from my enjoyment.  Traders not bringing wagons, soap breaking the game, smelters not working until you have at least 1 fuel available, wrestlers breaking sparring (in 40D) etc.  At some point it would be nice for the developers to clear out the bugs before moving on and provide us with the best environment for positive and useful feedback on the game's direction.  I hope that makes sense.

ColdPower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »

I, too am having problems with running the game. I can not get 31.13 or 31.14 to run. I click the shell script, say "run", and nothing happens. my operating system is basic ubuntu, fully updated. 31.12 still works fine. Has there been some change in the game during the last two versions that would cause this?

I had this same issue, but it seemed to work okay when I ran that same shell script from inside a terminal window instead of clicking on the script.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better Features
Faster Operation
Less Buggy
Open/Closed Source
Each of those is an independent item, and there is no relationship between any of them.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

glitchpop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have nothing to add but lolz  :P

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2010, 02:12:07 am »

Nice, but I do hope the Fortress mode were decently playable to the finish and not slow down to an unplayable crawl.

Most of the massive number of bugs in the tracker would need to be addressed before Fortress mode were decently playable.

While I agree with this and while I really really want to play Dwarf Mode, I would think that adding features is more fun for Toady than endless months of bugfixing.
Though currently the bugs are preventing me from playing, so it would be nice to get some comfirmation on this. That would make the wait more bearable. :)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:21 am »

I think the whole project would benefit immensely from Open Sourcing it. Various license alternatives exist. Now I think it's just sorf of a piling amount of stress on just one man, who could let it go and just manage it and let others do the programming work.

At the moment, it's Toady's baby and Toady is welcome to release just as much changeability (e.g. the raws) as he wants.  That's possible to also do via a limited Open Source way, but as it looks like the Source itself (as opposed to the working data) is what he wants to keep personal (give or take the occasional trusted co-developer, like Baughn, if I understand that situation correctly) then there's no need to make any changes.

What I might be tempted to do, though, if I were in the midst of something with as much public concern, would be to consider what I might want to happen "should something happen" (wood being knocked upon, as I write this) and get it at least quietly arranged so that this happens 'in the event'.

At it's simplest: designate trustees to be recipients of the source-code, with instructions that a specific person or group be given certain development rights, that a person of group be found by those trustees towards the same end or that the code should now be released (perhaps via a transitional coder) into the Public Domain, to name just three options of many more.

If non-PD, then the remit might be "get it debugged and officially released, but implement no more new features that aren't already earmarked".  Whatever, whether the aim is to be a nice little earner or just to be Toady's intellectual legacy is up to Toady, personally.  I'm sure I wouldn't fault him, whichever way it went.

Ok, so if Toady suddenly dropped off the world (for whatever reason, including just getting fed up of it) and stopped coding, and the various server subscriptions expired and the community was left with a half-finished and buggy version 0.45.13 floating around in Torrent feeds, it wouldn't be the first time that such a promising project came to an end, but obviously this particular project is of one that a lot of the people reading this have put a lot of personal time, emotional commitment and intellectual thought into, so I'm just thinking (perhaps selfishly) that there should be an official continuation.  But, as I said, it's Toady who should (one way or another) have the last word.

As a kind of example, Terry Pratchett has more or less stated (I'm paraphrasing, and his attitude might have changed as well) that he really doesn't mind too much about Fan Fiction for the Discworld canon, but he doesn't want to see it.  This is a practical solution to the problem of not having to say (again!) "Yeah, I was looking forward to writing the book about <some situation>, but now I can't...".  Because (frexample) enough people say that he stole the idea of his Ponder Stibbons character from Rowling's Harry Potter (for which he would have needed a handy time-machine, of course), never mind the problems if he's thought (or intimated) to steal from a fan.  Ditto with the cardinal crime of fans Speculating on public forums in his presence, for the same reason.

Now, I know there are people out there who have privately (or in semi-private places) made their own fan-fiction (including slash-fiction), and I've got a few of my own, in potentia, (not yet escaped from my head, but more or less fully-formed).  As and when he dies (a sad occasion, and of course he has the much publicised illness hanging over him), the Discworld estate is naturally going to belong to his wife and/or daughter (with possible sidelines to Briggsy, The Cunning Artificer and various others), but it may be that he (or his estate) will officially let fan-fiction flourish.  Regardless, it will happen (as it does already, though in a subdued manner by those who care about the aforementioned problems), but if a statement along the lines of "To all my fans, I bequeath the right to speculate freely, and write what you want that in Good Conscience keeps to the spirit of Discworld, so long as you don't charge anyone for the privilege of reading your creations" (and/or a variation on the current usual practice for performing his plays, that he doesn't mind amateur groups doing so, so long as they ask him/his agent for permission and make a token donation to the Orang-outang Fund).

Note that this is just an example.  I've no idea if it's anything like what PTerry has set up (or what his estate executors will do, In The Event), but I felt I could go into more detail about something on this forum about a person that (to my knowledge) does not frequent this place, after going as close to the wire about this particular Creator as I care to do (and feeling uneasy enough about what I did say).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:48 am »

Would bugs from .13 create problems in .14 i.e. If I have the useless migrant bug going on, would putting that game in .14 cause problems?

When my "useless migrant" (my bookkeeper) from .13 was teleported into the .14 universe, he magically gained a labors screen, with all labors disabled.  I told him to start Cleaning.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:48 am »

Why would the lumberjack be the medic? He has enough to do chopping trees and making beds, bins, and barrels.

I don't know, but he was. And a different dorf took care of the actual carpentry.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11