Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released  (Read 57497 times)

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 08:37:33 am »

If he was going to give up, we would have seen long 'breaks' from coding

You must have gotten here about the same time as I did... after the Great Drought...
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 08:58:37 am »

We got a lot out of the drought.
its not totally running as smooth as before, but its still fun.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 11:45:59 am »

Something that bothers me a lot about this release is that I can only see development of human origin, the other three major civs don't seem to show up on the mid map on embark. Related to this, it seems that some types of goblin town don't show up on the mid map at all.

Also, is it just me or are aquifers dramatically more frequent than .12?

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »

Thus it seems like wasted effort to recode code that will have to be recoded anyway when the new features are added.  This avoids the 'bug cycle' MDRL describes.
Bugfixing code that you plan to potentially rewrite in some unspecified future is not wasted effort. First, this make current state of game more playable. Second, it make rewriting other code easier.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »

(*)fixed plant text in food preferences and stopped generated forgotten beasts etc. from being chosen

"But can't you just be happy with beef?"

"NO! I WANT YOU TO FIND A PURPLE-FURRED SLUG MADE OF YELLOW DIAMOND AND BUTCHER IT!"

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2010, 09:03:40 pm »

I have now tried 0.31.14 on two different Macs. It appears to work just fine on Mac OSX 10.5.8, but does not run at all on 10.4.11.

Is this going to be resolved in later versions, or do I need to start looking for a new computer?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2010, 09:39:40 pm »

Err, the game is billed as ALPHA; and actually that's pretty conservative, considering how stable it really is and how many working features are in it.  I've paid for dozens of commercial "final" games that were way behind this one.  So some stuff doesn't work, if it really bugs you, stop playing and come back when it's in late beta or final release state.

Agreed wholeheartedly. But a "final release state"? You think there's ever going to be such a thing? Given the scope of the project, I don't think there's ever going to be a final version. Sure, Toady may abandon it someday or get hit by a bus, but DF will never really be finished. Even if he manages to put in everything on the list, by the time that's done he'll have accumulated twice as many additional ideas. I do hope he keeps going for good many years yet, though. Watching DF grow is a fantastic adventure, there's nothing else quite like it out there. Go Toady!   :D

I think the whole project would benefit immensely from Open Sourcing it. Various license alternatives exist. Now I think it's just sorf of a piling amount of stress on just one man, who could let it go and just manage it and let others do the programming work.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »

Here's the thing about that. We all have various things that we'd like to see implemented into the game, but they're not his vision. DF is Toady's baby. His pride and joy. This is his life's work. His masterpiece. Not ours. It's not our place to "help", even if it would be constructive and time saving, as it would take away from the overall work. If he wants help, he'll ask. See: Baughn.

It's our job to sit back, watch the marvelous unfold, and play DF. If he didn't want us playing it, it wouldn't be freely available to download.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »

People don't just take something that they've invested tremendous intellectual capital in and have been working on for years, and open source it.

I think Toady would rather carefully develop his project over time, turning it into something really great, than let the masses loose on it to get something mediocre more quickly. At least I would rather.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »

Would bugs from .13 create problems in .14 i.e. If I have the useless migrant bug going on, would putting that game in .14 cause problems?

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2010, 10:19:18 pm »

It's our job to sit back, watch the marvelous unfold, and play DF. If he didn't want us playing it, it wouldn't be freely available to download.

Except (at least for me) the game is currently unplayable.  Too many crashes, game-ending bugs and events that result in my walking away frustrated.  I hate the thought of waiting years before the game is done, and would love to have periods of stability in between each development cycle. 

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2010, 12:38:11 am »

Except (at least for me) the game is currently unplayable.  Too many crashes, game-ending bugs and events that result in my walking away frustrated.  I hate the thought of waiting years before the game is done, and would love to have periods of stability in between each development cycle. 

Umm, I hate to be the one to say this but . . . what crashes?  This release is stable as a rock, never CTDs and doesn't give me error messages.  Haven't had any game ending bugs either, at least not from my perspective of game-ending.  What exactly are you running into that is causing you so many problems, that I haven't yet?

I ask this partially out of curiosity, but also from the perspective of learning about things I clearly am not experiencing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2010, 01:02:38 am »

You can always just keep playing 40d until this one stabilizes for you.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

brenneman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:04 am »

You can always just keep playing 40d until this one stabilizes for you.

Seconded. 

From my POV, this is a donation-supported product that is (in almost every way) better than anything I could go and pay for.  Complaints don't even cross my mind, much less the sort of bitter "how-dumb-can-he-be-to-code-like-that" kind of complaints I sometimes see here.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2010, 03:52:10 am »

I have now tried 0.31.14 on two different Macs. It appears to work just fine on Mac OSX 10.5.8, but does not run at all on 10.4.11.

Is this going to be resolved in later versions, or do I need to start looking for a new computer?
It'll be resolved if at all possible, and I'm quite sure it's possible. The only reason it hasn't been already is because, well, I don't have a mac. This is not a showstopper, but it's definitely a show-slower-downer.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11