Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released  (Read 57469 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

Why would the lumberjack be the medic? He has enough to do chopping trees and making beds, bins, and barrels.

I don't know, but he was. And a different dorf took care of the actual carpentry.
I rarely have a lumberjack/carpenter combination.  If I have the choice, I try to make sure that someone is potentially getting the wood stocks filled while the carpenter is trying to deplete them (and make sure the woodcutter isn't hauling his wood home, if there's a long trek betwixt woods and store, getting others idlers to do that).

Although I see the logic of making them one and the same so that when there is little/no wood you can send them out and don;t have to worry about job queue incompletion or idle time, I tend give each side of the equation to a dwarf cross-employed on something completely different in a way that suits the environment and my (planned, not always obtained) division of labour.  If nothing else, carpenter and/or woodcutter get a bit of time engraving while waiting for wood to carpent/trees to cutt.  Or wood/otherstuff-hauling and storing into/across stockpiles.

YMMV.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2010, 11:58:38 am »

You're going to need to give details.

I didn't want to clutter up this space with my issues, and have been seeking help in the appropriate areas.   My lockups occur when zooming or placing buildings, and I believe it is related to the new TrueType stuff - and though I am not currently using it, my system is not stable using 2D mode.  Unfortunately, the popular graphic packs have garbled text when not using TrueType/2D so its a no-win situation for me unless I want to run straight-ASCII mode.  Both my laptop and desktop are suffering from this, so perhaps it is an Nvidia driver issue.
It's tradition here I suppose - it's correct to seek help in the appropriate areas but a lot of us like to also be cross-informed on these announcement threads of what sorts of problems are showing up. TrueType stuff causing problems is very much something to post about here so all can see. It's something I'd never come across personally as I do play in ASCII mode but a lot of people are concerned about graphics packs.

Anyways...  its the bugs big and small that tend to detract from my enjoyment.  Traders not bringing wagons, soap breaking the game, smelters not working until you have at least 1 fuel available, wrestlers breaking sparring (in 40D) etc.  At some point it would be nice for the developers to clear out the bugs before moving on and provide us with the best environment for positive and useful feedback on the game's direction.  I hope that makes sense.
Yeah, that's the detail I was looking for. For you, the small bugs hurt as well as the big bugs. Now your post makes sense. Personally, I guess I'm used to working with systems where issues are omnipresent while versions keep coming out. I'm desensitised to small bugs that I can step around.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2010, 01:04:21 pm »

Toady you should really fix the military gauntlets/boots equipping.. they often just wear one boot or one gauntlet when upgrading to better versions, and it's incredibly frustating.

I think it's part of this: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=535

But seriously. I've lost count on how often my dwarves get killed in battle simply because they absolutely refuse to wear more than one boot or gauntlet, leaving the other leg or arm undefended.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »

World gen seems a lot faster than 31.12 & the new world gen menu is a rather good addition.

I generated a large world it was done in about a 10th of the time 31.12 took to generate a world 1/4 of the size with the same history length. The region gen seems to be a lot faster now (using Windows SDL version, DFG graphical pack).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

jotapeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2010, 02:03:26 pm »

Registered so I could chime in on the Mac issues. It would seem that it's not just 10.4.x that has problems.

While df runs just fine on my Macbook Pro running 10.6.4, I have a Mac Pro as well that it will not run on.. which is running.. 10.6.4. Very strange. I got this error:

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSt8__detail12__prime_listE
Referenced from: /Users/john/Downloads/df_osx/./dwarfort.exe
Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Just to be a cheeky bugger I went and replaced my libstdc++.6.dylib on the Mac Pro from the Macbook Pro. After temporarily bricking my computer, I managed to sort it out and still get the same error.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

While I always love to see new versions, I'm afraid .13 and .14 have been unplayable for me. Quite literally, I can't get the damn thing to start.

I keep getting "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" error messages. Tried re-installing (well, deleting and redownloading, same dif) and no dice. It's the Windows SDL version if that helps.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »

While I always love to see new versions, I'm afraid .13 and .14 have been unplayable for me. Quite literally, I can't get the damn thing to start.

I keep getting "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" error messages. Tried re-installing (well, deleting and redownloading, same dif) and no dice. It's the Windows SDL version if that helps.

Try the legacy version. Also "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" tends to be a problem with side-by-side Visual C++ controls but DF appears not to use the side-by-side assemblies so that may not be the case here. Your operating system & general PC information may help diagnose this. I assume it's caused by Toady switching to VS 2010 for 31.13 onwards but how to fix it needs more info from you.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:35 pm »

The last update was just 2 weeks ago, right? Toady is certainly working faster then a couple months ago, go team toady  :D  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D !

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »

This is an error message generated by one of the MSVC dlls.  It is looking for a .MANIFEST even though it shouldn't.  All of the older dll files are available as a seperate download.  I found my system only required "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" to be added to the DF folder.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2010, 07:22:35 pm »

It seems pretty consistent that a world genned in .13/.14 has verrrrry infrequent invaders, but genned in .12 and imported to .14, works as expected (i.e. you don't wait 6 years for even a kobold thief or goblin snatcher).  Whether or not this is intended, it's terrible, that's a very large stretch of time to get any attention from hostile civs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2010, 07:26:34 pm »

good for megaprojects, though. plenty of time to build, then defend your awesomeness.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »

You already had that option with just setting invaders on/off, if you just wanted a long slow period of building - this is like having "invaders off" forced on you rather than having the choice.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »

For you, the small bugs hurt

Thanks for understanding.  It is a love-hate relationship some days.  I'm not sure if this would be considered a small bug or not, but learning that it will take another 5 years to get goblin invaders is...really pushing me towards taking another break.  :flails:

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2010, 12:36:23 am »

The workaround is to gen the world in .12, and copy it to your .14 folder and run the updater - this means you also don't get the sprawl tiles, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.  If you gen the world in .12 you seem to get migrants and invaders on the .12 schedule, rather than the greatly different (imo terrible) schedules of the current version.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:38 am »

learning that it will take another 5 years to get goblin invaders is...really pushing me towards taking another break.  :flails:
Maybe it's time to try the Genesis mod, with four hostile civs, buildings that train military and intellectual skills, and lots of new wildlife, and male and female organs getting hit in battle.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11