Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No plant-derived items available...  (Read 329 times)

BurntIce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No plant-derived items available...
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:42 am »

Hi all, my most recent attempt at a fortress has run into an interesting snag... at embark, there was no plants/drinks/seeds available at all, while things like meat and cheeses were, leading me to embark with no alcohol, plants, or seeds. At my embark location there is vegetation and I was able to collect enough to get some brews going and a farm started, but now the dwarven caravan has shown up, and I still have no access to plant items of any kind. Not even plant fiber cloth. My only non-vanilla settings are [WEATHER:OFF], is it possible this killed plant availability? Not a game killer, but adds quite a bit of challenge. Hopefully the elves/humans bring me some goodies.

Update: dwarven outpost liason has very highly requested "Plants" as an export from my fort. Must I feed everyone?

- BurntIce
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:41:19 am by BurntIce »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No plant-derived items available...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:45 am »

I guess you'd better set your haulers to "Herbalist" & start gathering.

& Build some overground farms.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04:20 am »

Sounds like fun to me. I like playing with limitations -- it makes me think of different ways of playing the game. I'd like to have your map parameters and seed, just so I can have a play with it myself.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:14:28 am »

I'd say gather a bunch of above ground plants, then channel out some of the roof above your first floor stuff and build a farm down there, assuming you have soil on the z level right below ground. You can then build floor tiles over the hole and it functions as an outdoor farm but is totally safe.

Later on, you can breach the caverns, gather a few plants down there, then muddy some floor back in your main fort and use those seeds to start underground farms like normal.

It's a pain, but it makes it interesting not having everything available all the time.

I've been told this happens when your dwarf civ ends up in a place with no underground water. I have no idea if this is true, but i've only actually seen it with aquifers off and only occasionally then.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]