Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give me...the A-Team  (Read 873 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Give me...the A-Team
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:01:24 am »

So my fortress perished and I gave reclaiming it to go. The party I send lasted all of 5 seconds.
Clearly reclaiming this fortress requires a crack commando team.
Opposition is a Forgotten Beast and some buggy (?) monster (3-eyed Monster Panther, trap immune, heals really fast, that showed up at my front door, no announcement...apparently it was a diplomat, and it diplomatically wiped out my fortress).
Please give me suggestions for the most powerful possible reclaiming team (I'd aaaallllmost finished my project doh).
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give me...the A-Team
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:36:57 am »

I think that you only need to kill the FB. Are the FB and diplomat fighting each other? One may kill the other.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:35:33 am »

No they're best mates and hang out together :P
It's even worse, when I attack the Forgotten Beast, it is the diplomat that does de majority of of the reclaim party slaughtering  :o

Batdwarf Forever !

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:48:28 am »

You'll wand a good mix of hammer/axedwarves, with crossdwarves for backup.
Hammerdwarves are good for crippling, while swordies land the killing blows.

If any have poison blood, bulk up with hammerers, they don't leave as much mess.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:09 pm »

I suggest that if DD (the Draconian Demonic Dignitary) is doing the killing, kill them first.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:08:49 pm »

How close are they to the poin of embark?
If you could get your dwarves to hide, you might be able to last long enough to set up a trap of somesort.

Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:58 pm »

7 miners to quickly tunnel under it and drop it down a shaft STRAIGHT TO HELL!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 03:54:13 am »

Hahaha  :D

Well, I tried quite a few setups. Medium skilled all round, few high skilled ones...major problem is you're severely limited on your equipment that you can bring...only axes really...all my attempts failed as party after party got slaughtered. They did rather easily manage to kill 2 forgotten beasts, but that diplomat is something special.

Gave up in the end and with severe regret loaded an old save before the diplomat showed up. Two seasons later guess who comes a-knocking ? It's that damn diplomat again.
This time I was a bit better prepared, unfortunately the defenses for my waterpower plant were not finished and they got all trashed (so much work lost ! FUN !)
With everyone locked in the mountain and all walled up I lost track of the diplomat.
Turns out he is hiding underwater 7/7 (WTF dude  :o).
He doesn't seem inclined to get back out so I reopen the fortress for business and start work on finishing the waterpower plant defenses.
Of course eventually the sod manages to sneak back into my fortess after spending 30 min underwater.

OH NOES !

He does not actively attack dwarves, that's the wierd stuff. He begins to randomly destroy some stuff and spends some time sulking now and then.
After several failed attempts I manage to wall him in. Then I proceed to stage a cavein on top of him. He manages to survive the cavein (not sure if he's so awesome or if he escaped) and once again is loose in my fortress.
Well, nothing for it. Once more I rally the troops but seeing as he does not attack first I take my time getting everyone to get their bronze axes and spears out and their leather armor on. When I think my gang of hoodlums is armed as well as possible all 30 attack at once. In seconds I see dwarves fly across the roam to be splattered against the walls but after he killed 3 and maimed another 3 one of my dwarves gets a lucky axe swing in and his head flies around the room.

It's 04:00 AM and I gotta work tomorrow and I'm so happy I might cry  :'( :D

Batdwarf Forever !

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:23 am »

This has just given me an idea. Mercenaries! In Adventure Mode, you can be hired to kill monsters and stuff. It'd be cool if you could hire squads of people to fight for you/go off and kill things for you.

I can't remember seeing this explicitly stated in the Dev Goals, but I assume its in there. Everything is at this stage  :D
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.