Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing gators/crocs/hippos?  (Read 385 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing gators/crocs/hippos?
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:45 am »

Does anyone know a good way to cage-trap these animals? Usually I use choke points to set cage traps (such as between muddy pools) but these guys can ignore the choke point and just swim straight through the pool. I'm not really interested in such methods as "cage trap every tile!" or "build massive walls all leading to one point" though. I like to keep it small.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing gators/crocs/hippos?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:14 am »

Someone showed me this a while ago, and while it's not perfect, i did end up depeleting all the wildlife outside my fort with it, tamed then butchered.

Easier to show you than explain, so here's a screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I recommend adding cage traps to each exposed side of each point, but you'll catch everything sooner or later.

Except damned Grizzly Bears. Those have to come from elves i guess, since they're ultra sneaky and big on eating dwarf face. I think the reason i could never catch them is they move solo(or did on this map, first time i've really used them on a large scale) rather than in a pack, which will inevitably wander into them when one of them gets caught in one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:30:24 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:17 am »

I ususally scatter 10-20 cage traps around the map. It catches quite a lot of animals without choke points.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:29 am »

I ususally scatter 10-20 cage traps around the map. It catches quite a lot of animals without choke points.

This is good advice. I threw maybe 10 traps randomly around my walls. I was drowning in goats and cheetahs and everything else. The main downside was that the goblin leaders would always path into them and the squad would just wait there next to the trap.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:23 am »

I suppose I'll have to try caging the map randomly.