Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MMO - Racoons...  (Read 14655 times)

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress MMO - Racoons...
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:30:35 am »

DWARF FORTRESS MMO
(Massive Multiplayer Offline)

There has been a lot of discussion about a Dwarf Fortress MMO recently. Though all agree it will probably never happen, this does not stop speculation whether it would work or not. Could players work together to create a grandiose fortress? Or would it all fall apart in griefing and mismanaging? This is an attempt to answer those questions, through an offline fortress inhabited by player-controlled dwarves.

SUMMARY

This is similar to a community fort in that every player picks a dwarf for themselves. But in a community fortress, every dwarf is controlled by the fortress' host - in this MMO fortress every player will give orders to their own dwarf, and it's up to me to ensure the orders are followed as closely as possible.

HOW IT WORKS

Every player picks a dwarf and gives a name to it. The players then give new orders at the start of every season by posting in this thread, saying what they want their dwarf to do for the next three months. Should the dwarf finish the orders before the end of the season, it will spend the rest of the time hauling. Make your orders as exact as possible – if you say “I make five rock doors” the dwarf will make five doors and then haul, but if you say “I make rock doors” the dwarf will make doors, doors, doors until the season is over. You can have conditions in your orders too, e.g. “If I strike metal ore while digging the bedrooms, I mine out the vein.”

Start every order post with your dwarf’s name in bold. That will make it easier for me to see the posts.

If something unexpected happens (traders, sieges, strange moods, etc.) the game will pause so the players can respond.

At the end of every season a status screen for the fortress will be posted. More detailed stock information is available on request.

EMBARK

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is flux stone, a brook, and no aquifer. Should do fine. There are neighbours of all races.

SIGNUP

To start with there are (surprise surprise) seven dwarves available for players. When you pick a dwarf, choose a name for it, a gender (if there aren’t enough of either gender, first come first served), and skills and items from the list below. Every dwarf has 182 EP (embark points) and 10 SP (skill points). The items that the players pick will be all that the fortress starts with, so choose wisely!

Two or more players can split the cost of very expensive items (like anvils) between them if they wish.

The first person to sign up will get to pick the fortress and group name!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DWARVES

Fivex – fivex
Giga – Nattaboy
Chef – analog
Chychi – bayar
Squeaky – squeakyReaper
Dariush – Dariush
Brisk – Brisk
Urist - LordSlowpoke
Mosus - mrbobbyg
Asshole - breadbocks
Zasit - USEC_OFFICER

RESERVATIONS

Brocktree
TurkeyXIII
Tuxman
ExKirby
Gutanoth
Romeofalling
KaguroDraven
Eagle_eye
Jordrake
druid91
Zaerosz
bcd1024
TALLPANZER

NOBLES

After embark, one dwarf will become expedition leader (probably the one with the highest social skills). That dwarf can appoint others to sheriff, broker, bookkeeper, manager and chief medical dwarf. The first dwarf who wants to join the militia will become the commander, all others will be captains, and there will be no multi-dwarf squads. (This is to ensure that every military dwarf can do whatever it wants). Remember that once you join the militia, you can never do any civilian labor again.

FINALLY

Version: 31.12

This MMO is 100% FREE!*

*but for a monthly 20$ subscription fee you will level up twice as fast and get a complimentary adamantine battle axe
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:56:57 am by Arkbrik »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MMO - An Experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:36:45 am »

I will join.
How about, Proficient miner/weaponsmith and 1 copper pick, 2 buckets and spend the rest on plump helmet spawn and pig tail seeds(spread it out evenly.)
I may change this

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:52:07 am »

Sounds great! Is fivex a good name for your dwarf? Also, do you want to name the fortress and/or group?

Nattaboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:20 am »

I'm keen to join. My dorf shall be known as Giga; he is a competent Mason / mechanic / novice Detailer / Building designer.  He'll bring 40 units of booze (10 of each), 2 dogs(Male and female), 3 buckets, and 1 cave lobster.

THE LOBSTER IS MINE.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:39:55 am »

Chef the proficient farmer/cook!
I'll spend the rest of my Embark Points on one piece of a type of meat or organ... That makes 56 types if I'm correct... I don't really need to specify them all right  ::)

EDIT: Chef will be male!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:43:15 am by analog »
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:24 am »

Double-post.. So sorry
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:16 am »

I don't really need to specify them all right  ::)
Don't worry, I'll just pick the first 56 from the list.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:04 am »

Name: Drisgol if make, Chychi if female.

Professions: Proficient Glassmaker, Adequate Mechanic, Competent Organiser.

Possesions: 20 Pig tail seeds, 10 Plump helmet spawn, 5 rock nuts, 1 male cat, 20 cave lobsters, 1 pig tail bag, 1 pig tail thread.

Glassmaker/Manager with a hobby for mechanics sounds good enough. Brought some seeds for the free bags they come in, plus one extra one so that sang can be harvested right away.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:05 am »

Hrmm...  I'll take a shot.

Squeaky the Male Dwarf or Mouse the Female Dwarf (whichever is available)
Proficient Axedwarf
Skilled Carpenter
Novice Wood Cutter
Copper Battle Axe
1 male dog
1 female dog
1 female cat
5 plump helmet spawn

I'll help out with the original militia.  Copper may not make the best axe, but it's better than being defenseless.  Plus I'll do carpentry and woodwork, not that it'll be entirely necessary.  Breeding pair of dogs, and a female counter part to bayar's cat.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:58 am »

I would like Dariush (male), proficient miner and mason (112 EPs remaining, 0 SPs). Items:
Copper pick (66 EPs remaining).
33 units of whatever booze my dwarf likes. If he likes no booze, take 11 units each of wine, ale and beer. (0 EPs)
I'll give orders when you'll post a map of the embark. BTW, why don't you make it in dfterm, so we can watch you play real-time?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:56:26 am by Dariush »

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:09 am »

Name: Brisk
Appraiser/Stonecrafter
bring the rest in food
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:02:04 am by Brisk »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:13 am »

Actually Brisk, you'd be the seventh if I'm counting right.  You can still join up.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:44 am »

Forge an expedition to this newly founded outpost you keep hearing about.

This order, about two pages later, will still be revelant.

Oh, and one more thing.

Telepatically request fourty prepared dragonfly brains.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:27 am »

I like this!

I'll be Sam

5 Brewer
5 Metalsmith

I'm a good team player, so I say allocate my points to whatever is needed for the team.  If that's not an option, I will spend it all on cats.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:03 am »

Wait, was typing when 7 came in.  Didn't mean to ninja, so if you want 7 man, go for it.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7