Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Can we have homosexual dwarves?  (Read 22441 times)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
Re: Can we have homosexual dwarves?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:53 am »

Yeah and nothing else in DF is nasty or offensive.
Ya got me there. Still, I'd file rape under the same category as feces/urine: would the game really be in any way improved by including it? Realism alone is never a good enough reason.
Hey, Urine/Feces would actually be good for the game, urine could be used for removing stains and crap could be used for fertilizing.
OR You could drown Elves in it.
EDIT: Also urine was used for fixing cloth.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:07:28 am by Urist McMick »
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2010, 05:13:40 am »

And I want to see what the product of a union between a dwarf and a fluffy wambler would be.
A broken (emotionally and physically) fluffy wambler. :)

And hrm, now that you mention it, a "poopsmith" labor would be pretty awesome. Would items/architecture made from crap have value though? Imagine selling elves crafts!

...crap, now I'm interested in this idea.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:07 am »

I'd imagine that the dwarves with their high casualty rates (at least when I'm playing) would place a high emphasis on having children, 300-style. This to me suggests either suppression of homosexuality or a "as long as you have kids..." approach where a gay lover would be fine as long as you where properly married and breeding.

Elves with their large numbers and long infertile years would probably have no problems with homosexuality at all, stereotypically enough. :)

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:03 am »

Yeah and nothing else in DF is nasty or offensive.
Ya got me there. Still, I'd file rape under the same category as feces/urine: would the game really be in any way improved by including it? Realism alone is never a good enough reason.

Homosexuality would add a bit of character to your dwarves at least. Adding rape would do what? Goblins are evil enough, and it would be out of character for dwarves (at least until they stop being abstinent before marriage and 100% faithful to their spouse).

If a viable gameplay reason to include rape arose, I wouldn't be against it. Nor would I be against it for characterization of dwarves/historical figures, but again dwarves would need some behavioral changes before it'd make sense.

Rape is a mechanism of positive sexual selection.
Like "strongest being(A) have killed weaker being(B) and is spreding its semen in B,s female(C) and babys of C will inherit stronger genes of A, insted of weaker genes of B".
Its that primitive.

Yeah, yeah it is horrible and we cannot compare armorsmith and MaceLord in terms of fittestness and usefulness, but it is a fact.
And when two armys collide, the one, with strongest warriors will be a winner.

There are TONS of talks about eqality, but phisically, every two sentient beings are different. Some one`s more fit to live and other one is less.
And when hundreds and thousands of them are collided, statistics jumps in. And the one population with strongest natural phisical abilitys (with other things like skill, equipment and so on equal) will be a winner.

And its winner`s instinct is to spread his genes, so that whole race will be stronger.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:45 am »

And I want to see what the product of a union between a dwarf and a fluffy wambler would be.
A broken (emotionally and physically) fluffy wambler. :)

And hrm, now that you mention it, a "poopsmith" labor would be pretty awesome. Would items/architecture made from crap have value though? Imagine selling elves crafts!

...crap, now I'm interested in this idea.
well assuming DF follows medieval realism, someone would have to collect all the crap that people (read:Dwarfs) Dump in the street and store it, Do we really need another miasma source?(yes)
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2010, 05:21:47 am »

The homosexuality thread is now about rape and poopsmithing.

I did not expect this, to be honest.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2010, 05:23:04 am »

Wasn't poop used in warfare once?

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2010, 05:23:22 am »

Well, yeah, there was some homos armys, that almost conqered the world, but that just disgusting =)
You have some real buried issues rattling around in there.
You think so? =)
I just dont want to have some real homodwarves rattling around in dwarf fortress.
At least before some more interesting things are in!
Dude, you have some issues :D

Homosexuals, despite what some 15th century priests might claim, are not all male raving cockhunters. Dwarves seem rather asexual in the current game, but I'd like to restate that homosexuality is not limited to sex, and if they pair up and live in monogamous relationships, it's not that odd that some broads would hook up with other women and the same for men. Read a bit of history and you'll find that rather than being "unnatural", views on homosexuality has varied wildly in different times and places.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:40 am »

Well, yeah, there was some homos armys, that almost conqered the world, but that just disgusting =)
You have some real buried issues rattling around in there.
You think so? =)
I just dont want to have some real homodwarves rattling around in dwarf fortress.
At least before some more interesting things are in!
Dude, you have some issues :D

Homosexuals, despite what some 15th century priests might claim, are not all male raving cockhunters. Dwarves seem rather asexual in the current game, but I'd like to restate that homosexuality is not limited to sex, and if they pair up and live in monogamous relationships, it's not that odd that some broads would hook up with other women and the same for men. Read a bit of history and you'll find that rather than being "unnatural", views on homosexuality has varied wildly in different times and places.
Yeah, yeah, i`m kinda homophobic, i know(and xenophobic as well).
it just isnt going to add some fun to DF. =)
it`ll bring bunch of demography useless dwarves to a fort.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 05:32:44 am »

Perhaps it wouldn't be fun for YOU, but others might enjoy it. You're not the only one playing the game, and I'm sure it could be easily modded out if you can't stand ascii characters rubbing some beard.

And playing to stereotype (jokingly) imagine how much better the decorations and engravings will be! I could imagine the "Legendary Gay Tailor of Paintedgranite the Halls of Cheese" being a widely known figure whose clothing fetches ridiculous prices from the elves.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2010, 05:33:20 am »

All the time to spread disease.

Disease really isn't in DF yet so....
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2010, 05:34:38 am »

It could spread miasma for a short time after splattering.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2010, 05:35:21 am »

It would require an expansion and fixing of the syndrome and contaminant systems.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 05:39:51 am »

Perhaps it wouldn't be fun for YOU, but others might enjoy it. You're not the only one playing the game, and I'm sure it could be easily modded out if you can't stand ascii characters rubbing some beard.

And playing to stereotype (jokingly) imagine how much better the decorations and engravings will be! I could imagine the "Legendary Gay Tailor of Paintedgranite the Halls of Cheese" being a widely known figure whose clothing fetches ridiculous prices from the elves.

Hell, yeah, "Legendary Gay Tailor of Paintedgranite the Halls of Cheese" is just great.
But including gays as a common sence will kill the joke.

A fact, that some celebrity is a gay will not make you laugh, will it?

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:04 am »

Yeah, yeah, i`m kinda homophobic, i know(and xenophobic as well).
Why not? If you embrace your homophobia and xenophobia, you just have another reason to throw dwarves into magma. You're the one who advocates eugenics and systematic rape :) Not that I'm opposed to it, I'm all for giving the player freedom to do whatever fucked up things he or she wants.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10