Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop/Stockpile Designs and Plump Helmet Logistics  (Read 869 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshop/Stockpile Designs and Plump Helmet Logistics
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:13 am »

I'm just getting started on another fort, and I've got about 70 dwarves. I'm just getting my bedrooms and dining hall furnished, as well as irrigating a new farm area (8 7x7 plots just to be safe). But up next I want to put together some workshops and stockpiles. What kind of layouts do you guys like to use?

A related question is regarding my plump helmet industry. I always seem to have plump helmets filling every barrel I create before I can use any of the barrels for booze. Is the solution to simply strip the entire forest into barrels, or is there some fancy stockpile magic I can use to reserve barrels for booze?

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop/Stockpile Designs and Plump Helmet Logistics
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:32 am »

For the related question:

In the stockpile menu you can set the number of reserved barrels and bins simply set the max of this number to 0 and (unless you have something else taking up a lot of barrels) this should fix you're problem.
P.S. that is a massive overkill on the number of farm plots seriously 1 max farm plot can feed 70 dwarves easy
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:44 am »

I generally put my farms touching or inside my food stockpiles, and set a specific stockpile that only accepts underground seeds, and turn underground seeds off in the food stockpile.

As for barrels, hit p, then use / and * (not shift+8, the one on the numpad) to set the number of barrels that will sit in the furniture stockpile unused. 5 is plenty if your carpenter/blacksmith and brewer are on similar skill levels, obviously adjust it if the brewer is way ahead of the carpenter/blacksmith, or ignore it entirely if the carpenter/blacksmith is faster.

Also i say blacksmith because metal barrels/bins are a great way to get rid of junk metal.

Also yeah that farm is way too much. Leaving only two 5x5's out of 6 set to make food plants, it takes both a legendary brewer and two legendary cooks to keep my plant numbers below 2k :/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:48:25 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:18:45 am »

I'm just getting started on another fort, and I've got about 70 dwarves. I'm just getting my bedrooms and dining hall furnished, as well as irrigating a new farm area (8 7x7 plots just to be safe). But up next I want to put together some workshops and stockpiles. What kind of layouts do you guys like to use?

A related question is regarding my plump helmet industry. I always seem to have plump helmets filling every barrel I create before I can use any of the barrels for booze. Is the solution to simply strip the entire forest into barrels, or is there some fancy stockpile magic I can use to reserve barrels for booze?
8 7x7 plots?  392 tiles of farmland?
That's your problem.  With that much land under cultivation, you're going to be swimming in produce.  On average, you can support one dwarf per tile of agricultural land...and that's without taking into account other sources of food.

As for getting enough barrels...if you have magma and a metal ore, you can make barrels for cheap.  But that requires magma, and aestheticly speaking most metals make ugly barrels, only the white and yellow metals look nice as barrels.

My main suggestion is to continue to buy-out the wood brought in by every caravan, buy all of their barrels, and then request extra wood and barrels from your liason.  Also if you've breached a cavern, consider starting up some forestry projects by digging out huge rooms in your soil layers.  It'll be a year before you get any fungiwood from your tree-farms, and even longer than that before you get any significant amount of wood, but it's a relatively easy way of increasing your available wood with minimal additional effort on your part.  The only labor-intensive part is the digging, and that's just an excuse to train up your miners.  In my fortresses, everybody whose name begins with the letter 'D' becomes a miner.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:32 am »

Create multiple food stockpiles.  One food stockpile you set to take only plump helmets and have a maximum barrel count of zero.  Your other food stockpiles take everything else, and have their barrel count maximized.  I actually have many different specialized food stockpiles in my fortress, each specialized for a different part of the food and drink production chain, and only stockpiles which house liquids (booze, milk, syrup) are allowed to use barrels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:58 am »

Also if you've breached a cavern, consider starting up some forestry projects by digging out huge rooms in your soil layers.  It'll be a year before you get any fungiwood from your tree-farms, and even longer than that before you get any significant amount of wood, but it's a relatively easy way of increasing your available wood with minimal additional effort on your part.

Just digging out rooms in soil layers won't work unless you're in an area that has multiple soil layers and you're digging in an upper layer - soil floors that don't have soil walls beneath them (seemingly in a 2-tile radius) will not support the growth of any subterranean plants unless you muddy the area. Besides, unless things have changed since 40d, underground plants grow much more rapidly in mud than on dry soil.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:02 am »

Also if you've breached a cavern, consider starting up some forestry projects by digging out huge rooms in your soil layers.  It'll be a year before you get any fungiwood from your tree-farms, and even longer than that before you get any significant amount of wood, but it's a relatively easy way of increasing your available wood with minimal additional effort on your part.

Just digging out rooms in soil layers won't work unless you're in an area that has multiple soil layers and you're digging in an upper layer - soil floors that don't have soil walls beneath them (seemingly in a 2-tile radius) will not support the growth of any subterranean plants unless you muddy the area. Besides, unless things have changed since 40d, underground plants grow much more rapidly in mud than on dry soil.

Still the same, great way to put all those murky pools that legendary fighters fall in then drown like retards to good use.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:17:10 am »

A 7x7 plot of plump helmet is enough to feed over 200 dwarves for the forseeable future, 8 times that is overkill.

In regards to barrels, the method I use is to cook the alcohol and other solid foods into roasts. This allows them to stack in larger amounts so you don't need to use barrels for them. Essentially I only have my drinks stockpile to accept barrels and my prepared food stockpile will take no barrels. I have stockpiles near my still to accept only empty barrels and stockpiles near my kitchen to accept only food with no barrels. The stockpile that takes unprepared food is quite large (usually 21x21).

I also almost never make barrels. I buy all the barrels I need from caravans (empty and ones with alcohol).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:18:48 am by Stardrinker »

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:20 am »

Good info all. Thanks. Just to be clear, I don't actually have all 8 plots being worked. That's just how many I carved out.