Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rooms  (Read 533 times)

DemonicSpoon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rooms
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:30:45 am »

Relative newbie here, can't find anything on DFwiki.

Lets say I'm setting up an office for a manager. Having just a chair is lame, so I gave him a table too.

Out of curiosity, is there any point in assigning this table to him? Are there any downsides to assigning the room as a dining hall so I can assign the table to him? Or will he be happy to have a sweet rock salt table just by virtue of the fact that it's in his office?

Bonus question: is there a purpose to crafts (like from the craftsdwarf workshop) other than trading?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rooms
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:03 am »

Having a table is a good thing, as sometimes they will eat in their office and will get a bad thought if there isn't a table.
Second question: No. This makes artifact crafts useless

DemonicSpoon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:40 am »

do I have to make a new room and assign the table to them?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:14 am »

do I have to make a new room and assign the table to them?
No

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:59:14 am »

Setting your manager's office as a dining room has no downside, but I wouldn't suggest doing it for your mayor or nobles. Having rooms that overlap can hurt the value of those rooms. Or at least it did in 40d, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary for DF2010.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:28 am »

Setting your manager's office as a dining room has no downside, but I wouldn't suggest doing it for your mayor or nobles. Having rooms that overlap can hurt the value of those rooms. Or at least it did in 40d, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary for DF2010.

Yeah, it definitely still does, i made an all steel room(floors and walls, total of 45 bars there) with all steel furniture(other than the bed) for my mayor(who was also my legendary armorsmith and the best mayor i've ever had, he only demands making iron items and that's it, never anything else) and when i was done it was a royal bedroom, however when i set the table and chairs to the exact same space it all dropped to the "Grand" level.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:01 am »

If you have an office declared from a chair, and a table in the same room, then the table will also belong to the same dwarf than the room. It will still count as an office, not a dining room. If you want to assign both an office and a dining room to your nobles, consider making separate rooms with separate tables/chairs.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:35 am »

Or just fill it with really, really awesome stuff so you can overlap and it'll still all be royal.

Valuable artifact furniture is good for this, as is making the room in a mined out vein of something expensive, because then your floor and wall engravings add quite a bit more value to the room than you would expect.