Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Troubles with farming  (Read 2162 times)

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Troubles with farming
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »

So I've got underground farms working and everything, right? I have muddied floor tiles and I've designated what's being planted where, right? Indeed, and that's all fine and well.

However, lately I've been noticing something rather odd. It seems as though, even when seeds are planted, it takes quite a long time for anything to grow. Now these are plump helmets I'm talking about, and it seems to take several minutes in real time for anything to sprout. In previous forts, I had to find out ways to get rid of my mushroom surplus, but now my dwarves seem to be starving due to the unmotivated growth of my only food source.

Did something change, or is there some invisible aspect of my biome that is drastically slowing my farm development? It's quite frustrating when you have four 4/4 farm plots and it takes five minutes for a single plant to pop up, all the while your dwarves run amok searching for roaches.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troubles with farming
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »

Perhaps try fertilizing them?

If anything, I have a problem with the sheer OVER-productivity of farmlands.  You shouldn't be able to sustain a dwarf on just a single tile of farmland.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »

You can have some of my plump helmets. I can't make the barrels fast enough, and that's with only two 7x7 plots.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »

I don't even know how to fertilize them. Something about potash? But I've never needed to, as I said in my previous forts I had too much production. My mushrooms are planted, they just don't want to grow.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »

How similar is your current farming setup to the old set ups? more or less steps between seeds and plots? more or less experienced planter? longer distance from meeting areas to planting or food stockpiles? those could be factors.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:04 pm »

All roughly the same, however I think I figured it out.

The instant I cleared off some of the stones sitting on the plot they started to spring forth. Apparently I had about 10 stones on one tile, and it kept the whole plot from growing.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »

Nope, nevermind. Seems to have been a coincidence, as it's gone back to being ungodly slow....

44 farm tiles and almost no production.

This saddens me.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »

fertilizer will help, and its not that hard to make.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

Perhaps you misunderstand. Ordinarily, 44 farm tiles should produce more than enough food to supply a fort. Fertilizer should not be needed here, and is often even unwanted since it just leads to stockpile overflow and wilting crops in the field.

Send out herbalists while you try to figure this out. Can you correlate this with anything like season change? Is there anything different from this biome than your others?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »

yeah. I've never had problems with growing food... I usually get a surplus of booze and they got sick of the same stuff over and over again

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »

I'm in a cold, sinister biome, next to a volcano.

I'm not entirely sure of any other major differences, the plump helmets seem to grow a bit, then stop for a long time. Usually one pops up every minute or so, but I never get any more than three at once. I tried planting quarry bushes due to a strange mood requiring a quarry, and the craftsdwarf went insane because they. never. grew.

It's about a season after and still no bushes.

I'm rather confused here.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »

When he was sketching pictures of a quarry he was asking for rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »

To get the most out of your crops, grow sweet pods, turn them into syrup and cook the syrup. If you are running kitchens, set them to not cook any of your raw plants. While you're at it, check the number of seeds you have. I'm sorry I don't have any solutions otherwise to your problems.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »

You didn't smooth the floor before putting a farm plot down, did you?  If you smooth the floor your dwarves will eventually clear the mud off which disables the farm plot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:00 am »

You didn't smooth the floor before putting a farm plot down, did you?  If you smooth the floor your dwarves will eventually clear the mud off which disables the farm plot.

His stuffs growing, just slow. so thats not the problem..

Maybe ur fps is just slower then usual in the new version?
Pages: [1] 2