Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disembowlment  (Read 628 times)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disembowlment
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:04 pm »

If I disembowled a human and removed the guts and somehow he did not die of blood loss, would he eventually die of starvation? Or are those organs not tied to eating and drinking?

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
Re: Disembowlment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »

If I disembowled a human and removed the guts and somehow he did not die of blood loss, would he eventually die of starvation? Or are those organs not tied to eating and drinking?

This kind of question is why I love dwarf fortress.  :D

It depends on where you are keeping said human. If he does not have access to food and water, then yes, he will eventually succumb to both. I'm not entirely sure if it's dependent on those organs, even though that would make sense.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »

Creatures which are not part of your fortress never need to eat or drink, so the answer is no, he won't die of starvation, no matter what you do to him.

If you did this to one of your own dwarves?  I don't know.  I suspect not, there's nothing obvious in the raws indicating any special tag for guts stating that it's required for eating, but there might be something hard-coded in DF to require guts in order to eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

Easy enough to test, just mod out the guts but don't add the NOEAT tag and see if your dwarves start starving.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:43:36 pm »

I would also doubt it since other humanoids have guts but do not eat.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:37:18 am »

One dwarf was disembowelled, but survived and even got sewn up. He lived a long and happy life trailing his intestines around.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:40:29 am »

Creatures which are not part of your fortress never need to eat or drink, so the answer is no, he won't die of starvation, no matter what you do to him.

If you did this to one of your own dwarves?  I don't know.  I suspect not, there's nothing obvious in the raws indicating any special tag for guts stating that it's required for eating, but there might be something hard-coded in DF to require guts in order to eat.

I Adv mode humans do eat, they can occasionaly be seen taking food to the mead hall.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.