Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too many caged goblins  (Read 1297 times)

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too many caged goblins
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:48 am »

So I have a wonderful game where we are repelling sieges left and right. Sadly, i have tons of cage traps and they keep storing loads of goblins down in my storage area. So i have like 50 goblins in there. I know you can claim their stuff and kill them by setting up a cage to a lever, but this is very tedious. Is there anyway to get rid of all these cages at once? I think it is probably killing my FPS having all these caged gobbies.

Any help would be appreciated!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many caged goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:12:08 am »

Move cages down and link them to a single lever. Breach HFS, seal gobbos with the clowns. Use a soap maker pick the last stones.  ;D

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:24:03 am »

Move cages down and link them to a single lever. Breach HFS, seal gobbos with the clowns. Use a soap maker pick the last stones.  ;D

LOL, that is one way to do it  :o

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:41:40 am »

build all the cages in a room, seal the room off, then magma flood.

If they're metal cages, you'll need to link them all up and release them after sealing the room.

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:42 am »

If they're metal cages, you'll need to link them all up and release them after sealing the room.

I use mostly wooden cages. So will the wood cages and the gobbies in them just burn to death when the magma gets released?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »

You don't even need to flood them. Just build them in a room, and line the exit to the room with weapon traps full of steel discs. One their way to exit the execution room they walk over all of those steel discs in the weapon traps and end up in little pieces.

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

You could try the slave trade. Find the cages on the Move Goods to Depot screen and select them for trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:32 pm »

I use mostly wooden cages. So will the wood cages and the gobbies in them just burn to death when the magma gets released?

According to the wiki page, yes. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cage

One caveat though: if the creature has stuff still equipped, that stuff gets teleported back to where the creature was caged when it dies. If that stuff is on fire (or hot enough to start a fire) you're probably going to be in for a lot of fun. Remember to strip those little bastards of all their equipment before incinerating them. Using magma safe metal cages will allow you to re-use the cages in traps. I haven't tried this yet in the current version of DF, all this info is from the wiki, so take it with a grain of salt.

Note that this won't work with water, as cages have infinite air (and food/drink, except jails, which are different).
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

cadleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:08 pm »

Destroy them all with drawbridges. Its too much of a hassle to deal with caged creatures. Build weapon traps once you get all those cleared out.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:33:01 pm »

Linking them to levers takes a lot of time and mechanisms.  I'd advise making a pit/pond for them, building the cages next to the pit, and then order them transferred to the pit.  With zero distance to the pit, there is a lower chance of escape.  Once in the pit, bring your marksdwarves over for some live-fire practice.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »

You can also pit them into a Dr Doolittle blender!

In the 1x1 pit fill it with all sorts of animals. The more the better. Including kittens! Lots of kittens.

The kittens will shred the goblins as you feed the goblins into the kitten blender, one goblin at a time.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »

You can also pit them into a Dr Doolittle blender!

In the 1x1 pit fill it with all sorts of animals. The more the better. Including kittens! Lots of kittens.

The kittens will shred the goblins as you feed the goblins into the kitten blender, one goblin at a time.

I MUST STEAL THIS.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:05 pm »

Byfar the easiest way would be to simply cave-in the storage room which they are stockpiled.

This works for me because my empty cages are custom stockpiled away from full cages.  Also be sure to release any tame animals stockpiled through depot purchases.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:08 pm »

1. Strip them naked, dispose of cloth and recycle the iron.
2. Move the cages to an arena.
3. Using therapist, disable animal hauling for everyone but your military (which should wear armor over their clothes).
4. Set the gobs free (simply assign them to a pit)
5. ???
6. Urist McWrestler has become a champion!

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »

Designate them to be dumped, set your dump underneath an atom smasher, pull the lever. Although you won't get to keep the cages...
Pages: [1] 2