Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Impossible Demands  (Read 440 times)

DMG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.frozennorth.net
Impossible Demands
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

This may be an intentional effort to make nobles come off as irrational and bureaucratic, but I get a lot of mandates/demands from them that aren't actually possible to fulfil.

One keeps asking me for green glass items (she likes green glass, so it's to be expected), when I have no source of sand on my map.  So far as I can tell, traders don't bring sand or glass items, so I can't even trade for the items or raw materials I'd need.  Still within the bounds of a needy and irrational noble, though.

What's more puzzling is one who's mandating that I produce pig iron items.  There doesn't seem to be an option to *make* anything out of pig iron - unless the bars themselves count as "items" (I was reading the request as being for finished goods or furniture).  So even with a storeroom full of pig iron, I still can't meet the mandate. You feel a little extra helpless when they ask for something impossible in the sense of not-in-the-game rather than merely not-in-this-settlement.  ^_-

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Demands
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

The bars themselves count as items, which AFAIK is the only way to fulfill pig iron or bismuth requests.  It is also a cheap way to handle any base metal/alloy request - if the noble likes metals keep the raw ore around and you can fill one request by smelting then the next by smithing.

There was a bug where nobles would request "item in bedroom" - related to requesting an impossible furniture/material combination (like a brass bed). But merely impractical requests such as your noble's fondness for glass are one of the main reasons that nobles' quarters get fitted with "indoor plumbing".  Other alternatives are neglecting to appoint a sheriff or crippling/sequestering the hammerer.

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

DMG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.frozennorth.net
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't have any flux around, so I couldn't immediately test whether the bars counted.  Sorry for the premature post.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

Actually, making pig iron bars IS enough.  I've got a noble who loves pig iron too, which is fine by me since I'm constantly making steel anyway.  Too bad about the glass/sand situation though.

e: should refresh before posting

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]