Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you do?  (Read 1663 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do?
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:09:03 am »

Well I play League of legends, its a free multiplayer type of battle game, and I am starting to think that the developers are purposefully unbalancing the game to attempt to get all the foolish little kids (which there are a LOT of) to dish out money to buy the new, very strong champions early.

What do you do to prevent this? Is there legal action, effective methods, a petition? It's a one-of-a-kind game and used to be fun. It's sad to see it turn in this direction.

Tagert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:13 am »

First off, have you tried communicating with the developers? Do others agree with you? Maybe if you can get enough support behind you the developers will listen. When I say that, I'm not talking about an online petition. Those tend to do nothing. Get support on their forums.

That said, developers can do whatever they wish with their game - If it ends up killing the game then so be it.

To be truthful though, not much you can do, if you feel that way. The only way to 'win' in these situations is to 'vote with your feet'.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:00 am »

Once the money hunger kicks in, there's always a want for more-more-more. It was a mockery of DotA, now it's just an abomination, though there are some die-hard fanboys who will try to drown anyone who say anything about it not being perfect. This is what happens when a game becomes just another moneymaker for its greedy sob story devs, straying too far from its roots. The hypocrisy inherent in the game (as someone who knows both sides of the story quite well, and watched DotA evolve over the years) does make me a bit angry, and the number of players in the game who seem too ignorant to acknowledge the fact that their game isn't a shining example of what others should be (but rather what other games should avoid) is hilarious.

The players have become as blind as the devs, and I don't think there's anything you could do to change that; as long as money is being made, nobody cares.

Adding better graphics: Make it a game that looks as if it was made in this century. More people? Check.
Adding new heroes: Unbalanced? Who cares. Something else to make people want to pay money? Check.
Advertising the game as if it were a traditional boxed game for $19.99 in Best Buy (just giving people the opportunity to buy a 'premium' version of a 'free' game)?

Fucking priceless.

Edit: Vying for support on their forums is a lost cause. Anything that isn't in the hivemind of 90% of LoL players who frequent the forums will be downvoted, and often deleted as a troll post. Because they're about as bad as Apple about trying to make it seem as if all is well and good with every single player.

Yes, I do realize that there's a lot of anger directed at LoL in general in my post. That's simply how I feel.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:22:13 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

To answer your question, I know this is a rarely considered and controversial opinion, but you could stop playing.
Shoes...

Tagert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:30:11 am »

Because they're about as bad as Apple about trying to make it seem as if all is well and good with every single player.

Don't tell me LoL increased the size of the experience bar to make up for poor xp gain?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:30:34 am »

I don't know, I am pretty much known as the Shaco player representative simply for posting so many freaking times in every Shaco thread XD.

Lots of thumb up Shaco threads. Maybe I can rally people and get a hivemind of my own? >:)

Need more smileys.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:47:30 am »

Sorry but I don't see it. Sure some champions were OP after releasing (look at Xin, and take another look to see that he was nerfed rather quickly) but it's not fair to say all of them were. Urgot? Nope. Galio? Nope again, his ulti is easily shut down. Vlad? Maybe a bit but nothing game breaking if you know how to get that mofo. Call me a fanboy all you want but here is one simple fact, I haven't spend a penny on it. I play it because it's fun and as much as people moan about it, balanced (sure it's not perfect but still every champion is workable, even shunned Eve, yes she is, no I don't play her).

And Astral, "Adding better graphics: Make it a game that looks as if it was made in this century. More people? Check." seriously. What's wrong with improving their game? Sorry but it's just not viable point. I can agree with you on selling it as boxed title, it was a little sketchy as some people simply didn't know it's free to play but again it's not like they didn't get anything in return, still I agree that it was bad move.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:17:31 am »

Switch to Heroes of Newerth. I could try and give you a trial key if you want to try it out. It's an honest one-time fee. Grab it when there is a discount,  there are no microtrasactions. (Unless you suck or leave a lot of games and want to reset your stats - that costs money). Patches with new heroes and maps keep coming out. If changes make a character OP then you can just play banning draft/pick and not worry about it ruining your games.

I haven't played LoL so I can't compare but HoN has everything that was good in DotA and many, many things better. Some heroes are exact ports some are slightly changed and others are completely new with interesting playstyles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:11:57 am by Toady Two »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:42 am »

Well, can't do a thing when money's involved. Money doesn't mix well with art. Petitions don't, and have never worked. They're going to listen to fans with the same views as them (the ones who are giving money). So, sadly, best you can do is stop playing.

Switch to HoN or DoTA. I never really liked HoN (in fact, I hate it), but DoTA's kept me and my friends entertained for well over a year.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »

What do you do to prevent this? Is there legal action

Lolwut :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

Yeah, lolwut is the best legal action. I've never heard about anyone making "legal actions" against MMO games. It's a business and they are surely protected as hell, they probably have some line saying that "rules of the game may change" or "online experience may change during play" which is a part of the user agreement and totally protects them :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:17:10 pm »

Doesn't protect them against shotguns. Which is my recommendation. If you love a game that much you want to sue them, buy a shotgun and go postal instead. It will be funnier, more tragic, and will leave a mark.

"Rabid fan kills game developers due to unwanted capitalistic changes."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

Sorry but I don't see it. Sure some champions were OP after releasing (look at Xin, and take another look to see that he was nerfed rather quickly) but it's not fair to say all of them were. Urgot? Nope. Galio? Nope again, his ulti is easily shut down. Vlad? Maybe a bit but nothing game breaking if you know how to get that mofo. Call me a fanboy all you want but here is one simple fact, I haven't spend a penny on it. I play it because it's fun and as much as people moan about it, balanced (sure it's not perfect but still every champion is workable, even shunned Eve, yes she is, no I don't play her).

And Astral, "Adding better graphics: Make it a game that looks as if it was made in this century. More people? Check." seriously. What's wrong with improving their game? Sorry but it's just not viable point. I can agree with you on selling it as boxed title, it was a little sketchy as some people simply didn't know it's free to play but again it's not like they didn't get anything in return, still I agree that it was bad move.

Xin's nerf was a tiny bit of damage off his ulti and a scaling slow. He is still too effective.

And Heimer/Shaco. 2 popular champions that got vastly overnerfed for no good reason. Shaco I know personally was already having a hard time and yet they nerfed him, with false reasons. Now no one plays them.

Urgot I agree is not OP, but MF, Galio, and Sona have some serious fire power. They are even releasing items that are custom made for them, to increase the amount of people who want to buy it.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 06:05:16 pm »

Can't check Sona since servers are in constant maintenance  :(. Galio's ulti is laughable, get merc treads and just walk out of it. Also he can be interrupted by already taunted enemies who can silence/knock him up/stun with autoattack, his other attacks are easy to dodge, he is rare sight nowadays. Miss is quite powerful I agree here. I see nerf incoming already but still she isn't game breaking OP, only problem is to get to her through that torrent of bullets, rest is a piece of cake.

I don't get why people still moan about Xin, I never had any problem with him. If he is so OP I wonder why I see him just once in a while and usually he feeds badly anyway.

Don't get me started on "custom" items. Lantern? Useless. Manamune? Was viable last patch if you took time to farm it up, WAS. It was nerfed to hell. That new item for sona? Nothing THAT impressive, doesn't seem half bad with this cdr but other than cdr and active which could be interesting depending on its range it doesn't give much, I guess time and mathcrafters will tell.

And now to the meat, you made this thread just to grief about how Riot nerfed your favourite champion. Personally I had no problem with shaco's but there was something wrong considering he and heimer were autobanned on ranked games. I agree nerfs were too severe, but where does it earn Riot money? You know you can always unlock other champ (those "OP" ones, it's all fair game, no reason to handicap yourself by not playing them) for FREE while you wait for fixes to your favourites, yes no reason to blow money on their points, also there is a big bunch of 400 IP dirt cheap champions and lots of them are 'considered very powerful' so you don't have to grind at all. I see no money grab here from Riot, paying customers still don't get any advantages in game, just convenience of getting stuff earlier (and still its debatable since if you save up enough IP you can get new champions just as fast). Now tell me where nerfing Shaco fits in their master plan to rob you clean of money? As I said I don't see it. If you are not convinced just stop playing, no need to get so worked up over simple game.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:12:47 pm by janekk »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 06:26:33 pm »

I have to agree with Janekk here, what's wrong with updating the graphics? Don't affect your gameplay one bit, but it sure does make things look nicer.

I suppose you could try HoN, or just play classic DoTA. I'm sure there are some more obscure clones out there too. (Never myself got caught up in the DoTA craze.)
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: [1] 2