Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zone confirms the ability for fishing, but not as a water source?  (Read 576 times)

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zone confirms the ability for fishing, but not as a water source?
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »

I'm trying to get a water source zone to start a bucket brigade, but the zones I put down just aren't registering these small ponds as water sources! It is able to detect the squares as fishing squares, but not as a water source?

I've only been playing for about 3 days, so if you guys need any more details, I'll try my best to supply them.

Thanks in advance!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Zone confirms the ability for fishing, but not as a water source?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:40 pm »

dwarves don't like drinking out of murky pools ie. small ponds.

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »

....murky pools can't be used as water sources? Just noticed it in the small questions thread. D:

I guess I'll have to look around for a legit water source...

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:03 pm »

Rofl, nice timing! xD

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »

That means it's salt-water.  The only way you can tell if water is salty is by observing the anomaly you've described: water from which you cannot drink.

Water becomes salty I believe when it comes into contact with soil in a salty biome (or possibly any biome).  However, water coming OUT of a screw-pump is fresh and pure as can be.

If you can somehow prevent pumped water from coming into contact with natural stone/soil, then you can keep it fresh.  Generally this is done by constructing some walls and a floor over an area and pumping water into it. 

Boom! Water purification.

Since the output end of pumps is impermeable, you can integrate the pump directly into the cistern wall which will make sure it won't accidentally overflow.  Build your cistern (I assume you have plenty of stone lying around, right?), build the pump, and then set a dwarf to start pumping.  Once every tile of the cistern is 7/7 no more water will flow in, and hence no flooding.

Attempting to build a well over salty water WILL work as far as getting your dwarves to draw water from it, but you'll end up with a bunch of buckets lying everywhere filled with water "laced with salt", since it won't be usable.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »

Rofl, nice timing! xD

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »

That means it's salt-water.  The only way you can tell if water is salty is by observing the anomaly you've described: water from which you cannot drink.

Water becomes salty I believe when it comes into contact with soil in a salty biome (or possibly any biome).  However, water coming OUT of a screw-pump is fresh and pure as can be.

If you can somehow prevent pumped water from coming into contact with natural stone/soil, then you can keep it fresh.  Generally this is done by constructing some walls and a floor over an area and pumping water into it. 

Since the output end of pumps is impermeable, you can integrate the pump directly into the cistern wall which will make sure it won't accidentally overflow.  Build your cistern (I assume you have plenty of stone lying around, right?), build the pump, and then set a dwarf to start pumping.  Once every tile of the cistern is 7/7 no more water will flow in, and hence no flooding.

Attempting to build a well over salty water WILL work as far as getting your dwarves to draw water from it, but you'll end up with a bunch of buckets lying everywhere filled with water "laced with salt", since it won't be usable.
usually sand and rock salt tiles for better identification.

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:26 pm »

Seems to be overkill at my skill level, but when is ANYTHING not overkill for a newbie in DF...I'll try it!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:48 am »

The journey from newby-hood begins when you embrace the concept of "Think Big". 

'Big' as in "The 11x11 room used as your food stockpile is full".  And that's just the beginning.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."