Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A vile force of locomotion has arrived!  (Read 5429 times)

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
A vile force of locomotion has arrived!
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »

After playing DF for a while, I've decided to try and mod a new race. This is my first modding experience, and I've decided to use this as an excellent opportunity to examine the fascinating interactions between dwarves and trains.

The overall goal of this "project" is to create a civilization of trains. Although I call them a civ, they'll ideally be closer to bandits. The general problems I'm having are outlined below.

Idea: Metal trains that aren't nigh-invincible, preferably around the difficulty of goblins.
Problem: Making things of metal seems to make them hard to kill.
Possible Solution: Would it be possible to make a new metal, make it fairly easy to destroy, and set the trains to use it? Someone on the IRC channel suggested making them out of silver, but a silver train doesn't seem like it'd work too well.

Idea: Trains have the ability to run over dwarves.
Problem: Is it possible to make an attack that becomes stronger if a certain part (cowcatch) is removed?
Possible Solution: Two identical attacks, each corresponding to different parts?

Idea: Trains eat coke/coal. Raiding parties of trains descend on dwarven outposts, devouring all their fuel before making a retreat.
Problem: How the hell do I make a creature eat only coal? More importantly, how would a train 'city' produce coal?
Possible Solution: A custom workshop that only trains can use, that creates a new food item from coals. This seems like it'd need a lot of work...

Idea: Trains have no vital organs, but destroying the wheels makes them crash.
Problem: I don't think it's possible to tie body parts to movement without completely incapacitating them.

Idea: Trains constantly produce smoke from their smokestacks.
Problem: I have no idea how the hell this would work.
Possible Solution: Lighting them on fire?

Idea: Trains cannot swim, yet do not die in water, and eventually rust.
Problem: Again, not even sure if it's possible. Not to mention they'd all implode every time it rained.

Some other general concepts:

-Trains start appearing in small packs around the same time goblins begin besieging. Before this, individual trains may try and break into the fort. Train sieges come at the same time as megabeasts.
-Trains laugh at cage traps, yet can be beaten down by weapon traps, and absolutely hate siege engines.
-Trains have a natural, deep-seating and mutual hatred of elves, most likely over charcoal usage. In addition, they habitually destroy human walls.
-Trains do not use weapons.
-Trains are divided into castes, each using a different body type. Some have passenger cars, some have coal cars and some are just locomotives.
-Trains do not reproduce with males and females. They either bud asexually, construct more of themselves, or crawl out of volcanoes.
-Trains love cheese! Trains regained 60 HP.

Ideas? Suggestions? Anything?
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A vile force of locomotion has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

Make sure you can either melt the corpses or butcher them for metal ore/bars.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »

I posted a thread recently where some people made suggestions for my Myr race that might have some common ground.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:47 am »

Thomas the Tank Engine has arrived!  Beware his inane movies!

I don't think there's any way at the moment to make a race have to eat a specific thing, other than the BONECARN tag which causes a race to have to eat plants.  I also don't think there's any way to make them specifically steal coal.  The CURIOUSBEAST_EATER, CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER, CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM tags cause creatures to steal food, drink, or random objects, but there's no CURIOUSBEAST_COAL tag.

The body definition is fairly easy to do.  You'll have to create a new body type, possibly basing it off the BODY:WAGON template.  If you give it WHEEL body parts with the STANCE tag they'll be tied to the creature's locomotion.  You can then define attacks that use these body parts, calling them "run over" or something, and you'll then see combat messages "Train runs over Urist McDwarf with its left front wheel" and such.  If you want the running over attack to work only if the cowcatcher has been removed, define a ramming attack that uses the cowcatcher with ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN and running-over attacks that use the wheels with ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND.  That should cause the trains to only attack with their wheels if they can't attack with their cowcatcher.

Having trains have no vital organs isn't hard to do.  You probably want to base something off the BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY_THOUGHT template, or look at how creatures like cave blobs are built.  I expect they'll also need the NOBREATHE and NOBONES tags.

I don't know if there's a way to make them constantly release smoke, since that seems to require them to be on fire.  You might be able to mod them to have gaseous blood so they'd leak steam when injured.

Making them hate elves is easy, just make sure the train civilization file has ethics that conflict with the ones in the elven civilization file.

There's no way to have any creature destroy walls at the moment.  Having them not use weapons is easy, just make sure they have no body parts with the GRASP tag.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:13:33 am »

Having them not use weapons is easy, just make sure they have no body parts with the GRASP tag.

Although this method is more convenient in this case, for future reference, the EQUIPS tag exists for this purpose. Making sure the trains lack it is essential to making sure they don't try to use armour as well.

-Trains laugh at cage traps, yet can be beaten down by weapon traps, and absolutely hate siege engines.

They'll either dodge traps or they won't, unfortunately.

-Trains do not reproduce with males and females. They either bud asexually, construct more of themselves, or crawl out of volcanoes.

I'd normally say that this is fine (up until now asexual races have been fine so long as they don't die of old age) but the changes in how populations are handled in 31.13 might render it impossible. Not only are there more battles going on, making things harder for civs that don't reproduce, there also appears to be less potential control over civ populations (in previous versions one could simply make a civ start with 5000 members or something at year 1 and they'd gradually die out over worldgen instead of spreading out).

Regardless, this is the sort of batshit insane thing I'm strongly inclined towards, so I'm eagerly watching.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:55 am »

What the hell were you smoking when you thought this up, and can I try some please?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:57 am »

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:05:23 pm »

Ok now THAT made my day. At first I just laughed out loud but then when I saw that the friggin CONDUCTOR has an awesome face too well...that caused me to gag and choke on the hilarity
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »

Problem: Making things of metal seems to make them hard to kill.
They can have wooden and rock parts too. Different thickness in tissues. Probably they are NoPain NoNausea NoFear.

Problem: How the hell do I make a creature eat only coal? More importantly, how would a train 'city' produce coal?
Possible Solution: A custom workshop that only trains can use, that creates a new food item from coals. This seems like it'd need a lot of work...
Other civs don't eat currently I think. Don't bother making food for you "dashing steam golems".
Do they contain blood/oil/vitalsteam? Do they leak/bleed?

-Trains do not use weapons.
Fail. It is 100% TrapAvoid or 0%. Can make Caste A and Caste B, one of them TrapAvoid.
Removing all natural (punch, bite) attacks makes a creture "push" attack like Forgotten Beast blobs.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:16 pm »

Ok now THAT made my day. At first I just laughed out loud but then when I saw that the friggin CONDUCTOR has an awesome face too well...that caused me to gag and choke on the hilarity
And the best part that it took me 5 seconds in photoshop :).

And yeah, Tomi is right. I was just really in an "ill" state you can have when you are really drowsy so I couldn't make a better comment than I did heh.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:44 pm »

Oh hell. I lol'd at this whole thread. Reading the author's initial description made my gut hurt and when I saw Deon's pic I lost it. But anyway, if you do make this, I will play. And I will kill trains.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:07 pm »

Oh hell. I lol'd at this whole thread. Reading the author's initial description made my gut hurt and when I saw Deon's pic I lost it. But anyway, if you do make this, I will play. And I will kill trains.
Be sure to master your wrestling skills so you can pull this off.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 03:45:38 am »

It needs a dwarf running from it  ;D

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:22 am »

Delivered.

I couldn't decide which I liked better. I'm quite happy with my photoshop'd beards I made.

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:49 am »

Quote from: AzureAngelic
Trains

What's next, an invasion of hungry refigerators? Ore-gulping blast furnaces? Child-snatching TV-sets?

You, sir, are completely bonkers.
Also, you have my approval.
Pages: [1] 2