Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow Adventurer is Slow - Preformance Issue  (Read 414 times)

Arceius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow Adventurer is Slow - Preformance Issue
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:25 pm »

OK, the problem I'm having is not very serious and can be worked around, but I'd like a way to fix it. I am running version 0.31.12 (I switched back from 0.31.13 after it was revealed that the towns have been bent over a knee in that version) and I have encountered an small amount of slowness with the general running of the adventurer Mode since the beginning, which I expected and wasn't entirely surprised.

Then, for no apparent reason, Adventurer Mode (my favorite mode to knock about in) starts to run so terribly that I can barely move. When I enter a command (especially a move command) the game takes almost a full three seconds before responding. This coupled with the fact that DF likes to use two commands for each input (only sometimes) makes my Adventurer difficult to play.

I have found no difficulties in playing the normal Dwarf Fortress mode (beyond the odd double tap it gives commands sometimes, but that very well may be me) and it seems odd to me that this problem has suddenly cropped up, despite Adventurer Modes spotty performance in previous cases.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this, if it is indeed fixable? (I've got Win7 in case that helps any. I have also tried removing and re-installing and it didn't seem to help any.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Adventurer is Slow - Preformance Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

Are you sure you're not laying down, or carrying something heavy?

Is this only in towns, or out in the wilderness as well?

Arceius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »

It's not so much that my character is just slow, the entire thing runs slow. It happens everywhere I manage to go. I press a direction and nearly a full three seconds later everything moves. The game just lags every time I try and do something or move somewhere. I'm in the settings fiddling around now, but I haven't seen anything that might help so far >_>

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:37:58 pm »

It could have something to do with switching back from .13, although I'm not certain.

Arceius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »

After messing with the settings, and finally activating my FPS counter I have discovered that when I move my Adventurer my FPS drops by at least 10. Any subsequent move after that, made before the first move is completed, drops the FPS further. I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this now, I thought there might be a game issue but now it seems this might just be my system... or something. If anyone has any tips to improve my FPS in Adventurer mode it would be appreciated.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »

What are your partial print settings?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Arceius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »

I took a look at that, decided that I probably didn't fully understand what it would do and left it alone. [PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2]

My understanding is that it will not refresh anything that has not changed, but I'm not entirely sure how the number comes into play.