Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Someone Please Tell Me Why?  (Read 577 times)

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Someone Please Tell Me Why?
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

Why did a single goblin run through about 40 stone fall traps without dying?

It's about the 5th year of my fortress and I have been defending with cage traps. I had an abundance of caged goblins so I let a few of them loose through a tunnel that was lined with stone fall traps. Well a single goblin tripped everyone of them and because I have not figured out the military or the burrows yet my entire fortress is being ransacked - AS I TYPE THIS.

AARGH

EDIT: And yes since all of the traps were tripped everyone of my dwarves ran over as fast as they could to reset them. Of course they are now being cut down.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:09:29 pm by lament »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Someone Please Tell Me Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:12:26 pm »

Stone fall traps do hardly any damage, try real weapon traps.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »

I feel your pain, I also can't figure out the military, but try and find at least copper, a few of those in a trop should stop any one goblin.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:16 pm »

OK good idea.

Does anyone have any idea what to do with about 20 caged wolves?

I also need a few revenge ideas.

Thanks.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

You answered your own question. Build the wolf cages outside, link them all to a lever, pull it next time gobbos attack.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »

The same way a legendary axedwarf can get killed by a single GCS biting him and swinging him around by his cheek or eyeball. Total shit luck. Stonefall traps can jam skull through brain though iron helmets, i've seen it numerous times. However Stonefall traps also have TERRIBLE accuracy, even using masterwork mechanisms. Your goblin could have dodged and blocked enough to raise his skills enough to dodge and block the rest. Crazy RNG screwyness, but it does happen.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I try to phase out stonefall traps as soon as I can get a metal industry up and running.  They're great for random scary critters but I wouldn't count on them to protect my fort for too long.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »

Definitely...
stonefall traps were useful (and deadly) in 40d (and before)
in DF 2010 however they are useless against most enemies (unless you are very lucky)
lesson most of us (who used stonefall traps in 40d) had to learn

:D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:08:54 am by Proteus »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »

Why did a single goblin run through about 40 stone fall traps without dying?

It's about the 5th year of my fortress and I have been defending with cage traps. I had an abundance of caged goblins so I let a few of them loose through a tunnel that was lined with stone fall traps. Well a single goblin tripped everyone of them and because I have not figured out the military or the burrows yet my entire fortress is being ransacked - AS I TYPE THIS.

AARGH

EDIT: And yes since all of the traps were tripped everyone of my dwarves ran over as fast as they could to reset them. Of course they are now being cut down.

Shoulda made the very last trap a cage trap, or the last 3 or 4 if you want to be paranoid...  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.