Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The duck was of very little help.  (Read 1575 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
The duck was of very little help.
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »

I watched the video guides on Dwarven military, but I couldn't grasp it very well.

Is there another military guide for 31.12? If there is, me and my walled off immigrants would be forever indebted to you.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The duck was of very little help.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:00:10 pm »

I believe someone once made a comment about the DF2010 military system as "requiring a PhD in Dwarf Fortress".
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:04:11 pm »

I believe someone once made a comment about the DF2010 military system as "requiring a PhD in Dwarf Fortress".

True, and If anyone could perhaps write a checklist... a very clear check list that even a moron could follow, I'd be glad.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:04:38 pm »

Which, of course, is definitely an exaggeration...
a diploma or masters degree is sufficient

:D

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:24 pm »

press M, choose everyone in squads, assign weapons to all, wait for them to pick them up, then open the gates and CHARGE!!!!!!..

P.S. I use the orc tactic of if cannon fodder doesn't work, add more cannon.
Nom nom nom

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:55 pm »

Kilakan

I'd really prefer have my dwarfs tantrum, then be slaughtered like pigs.

I really just need to know how the hell burrows work, how to get those idiots to train, how to schedule them properly, and the alert system.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:50 pm »

Kilakan

I'd really prefer have my dwarfs tantrum, then be slaughtered like pigs.

I really just need to know how the hell burrows work, how to get those idiots to train, how to schedule them properly, and the alert system.

This is all just from memory, and the wiki is blocked from here so some/all of this could be wrong... but here goes.

1. Assign dwarves to squads as appropriate
2. (Optional) Create a uniform; a good idea if everyone is going to be equipped the same.
3. Assign dwarves equipment; note that uniforms are created under "uniforms", but they are equipped under "equipment".
4. Set the squad's alert level to "Train/active". Alert levels basically determine what schedule they'll use, and you want them training.
5. (Optional) Customise the squad's schedule; by default, their order will be "Train: Min 10" for every month. This means that all dwarves will train at all times; you'll need to set the minimum number to something less than the size of the squad if you want them to be able to take breaks. Someone will need to confirm whether dwarves will actually starve themselves if this number is too high; I think this was fixed.
6. IMPORTANT! Assign a barracks. You can do this from a bed, chest, weapon rack, or armor stand. Make sure each individual squad is set to (T)rain at the barracks.

If you've done all of this right, you should see them start doing group combat demonstrations / sparring. If not, check that their alert is set to Active/Train. If you see them doing individual combat drills, they're doing so in their free time and NOT set to train. You will also see their profession switch from civillan (Farmer, peasant e.t.c) to their military one (recruit, wrestler e.t.c) once everything is set up right.

Good luck!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:41 am »

I should probably write that down and take it to my computer.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:49 am »

You know what... a checklist for DF would actually be quite useful.
I'll see if I can't make something tomorrow.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:55 am »

Can someone please make us a "from the ground up" military tutorial video, I also found captn ducks tutorial on the military introductory at best. I've read plenty of written down steps to using your military, but following them at best I have only ever had parcial luck. I would love to use the new system, but end up having to rely on pitfall traps to protect my moronic dwarfs.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:34 am »

I actually got that far and got them trained up a bit.
Now I have one question...when you give a kill order should the squad be inactive or active/training ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Reuzel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:42:38 am »

51ppycup's video tutorials on DF2010 explain the military system in more detail. Have a look for episodes 15-19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddOiWj1ZZ4&feature=related

cheers

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:35:26 am »

As far as I'm aware, you can issue an attack order regardless of what status the military is currently in.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:34:50 am »

Orders (move or kill) totally override your alert/schedule stuff.  When you cancel the order, they will return to the regularly scheduled activities.

It's perfectly feasible to have a military that is ONLY ever used through active orders, if you're willing to live with never sparring (they'll do individual weapon drills only).  In fact, that was pretty much all you could do in older DF2010 versions, since training was broken....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:08 am »

5ippycup's military tutorials are great.

The big things to know are:
1) Burrows are key. You need to define the burrows you want your squads to defend when you create a "warning". Also, be sure to define a civilian burrow as well. These are covered in the tutorial. There are times in combat that you will also be micromanaging your burrows to make sure your archers are in certain areas that you are defending. You'll be painting and erasing a lot to move them into the correct positions.

2) Second, make sure everyone is equipped right. The default for Archers has them able to equip Shields/Bucklers, but you can't use a crossbow if they are wearing a shield, so they just bash things with the crossbow. Make sure you have your archers set to only use bucklers. You can view your military people through their Inventory screen to see what they are equipped with. Also, backpacks and waterskins are essential in sieges.

3) Another thing that helps is to use the (s)tation command in squads to move your units into a pre-fight position so they can gather up. Too many times, I'd just send my squad out to attack, and they would come out a trickle at a time and get slaughtered. When you get them to a spot first, let them gather, and then send them out, you will see better results.
Pages: [1] 2