Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eternal Hot Floor of Death?  (Read 1999 times)

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eternal Hot Floor of Death?
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:07 am »

Been experimenting with magma outside my fortress , as any good dwarf would. Flooded the north part of my map with magma to beat a siedge . But after that , the ground , or patches of it remained hot enough to kill . Is this a feature ? Waited months for it to go cool , be it rain ( steam!) or winter ( Urist McHauler has bled to death! ) , is there any way to get rid of it? or should I just wall it off and forgot about that piece of land?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal Hot Floor of Death?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:05:07 am »

You have yourself a heat trap.

It's something of an oddity at the moment. Have you messed around with temperature settings or spawned any magma using dfhack?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:26 am »

Never use dfliquids to remove magma, as the tile will remain hot forever. If you want to fix it, you'll have to respawn the magma at depth 2 or greater so it can spread out (and recalculate temperate info) and then dry up.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fox the Undead

• Bay Watcher
  • Frozen Dwarf Gas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:24 am »

Or use elfy way - turn temperature off. It stops you from using magma traps, however.

By the way, what are maximum and minimum Urist temperatures for dwarf to live all its life with fixed temp? And are fixed temp of material affect tile(s) if built into something? I'm trying to create extremely unstable material that needs to be cooled all times (with another material) or it will burn anything it touches, including haulers. Clothes from coolant material protect dwarves, but can (presumably) be deadly if used too long.

P.S. Foot-burners for anyone not equipped with coolant boots, too.
P.P.S. Well, it seems that dwarves completely ignore fixed temp of materials equipped, but not the other way. So coolant armor and weapons are useful only to survive in magma and deliver explosive bolts to enemy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:44:58 pm by Fox the Undead »

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:49:23 am »

Use traffic assignments to have your dwarfs walk around it. Sieges and ambushes ignore those things and happily walk over the floor of death. Watch as hilarity ensues and goblins melt.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:27:41 am »

True be told , yes , I was spawning magma using dfhack... was trying to see what happens to anything that took a shower of it... at least it has good defense value...

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:16:27 am »

If you also removed magma with dfhack at any point, then it's known that that leaves the area extremely hot.