Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Flirting  (Read 14595 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Flirting
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

What's wrong with wiccans? I'm actuilly rather fond of Wicca, but then I'm fond of most  belief systems that involve worship or respect of the elements or nature.
question semi-related to what I just said. Why do people say ancient people are idiots for calling earth, water, wind, fire, and the extra one that depended on the people in question elements? They called those things elements long BEFORE scientists called oxygen and such elements.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

Ah, i just dislike that neo, magic, worship stuff.

But the wiccan girls usually seem to look hot.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »

Why do people say ancient people are idiots for calling earth, water, wind, fire, and the extra one that depended on the people in question elements? They called those things elements long BEFORE scientists called oxygen and such elements.

For the same reason we no longer call severing arteries while chanting mystic slogans medicine.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2010, 05:02:55 pm »

But I think a better term would be 'lacking in present day knowledge', not idiots. Idiots implies they got it wrong when it was easy to get it right.

And I don't even know how that involves Wiccans because I don't know what Wiccans believe really, I just think that it's harsh to call them idiots.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

I'm just useing personal experiance here Jackrabbit, in my experiance people tend to call them idiots. And I still don't see how 'lacking in present day knowledge' fits, the word Elements was made to mean those things, it's meaning was later changed to mean what it means now. Saying people lack knowledge becouse the meaning of a word was changed doesn't make sense.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »

Oh, wait, you're right, it doesn't work. If people are still worshiping the classical elements as elements (and again, I don't know if Wiccans do that) even after they've been proven not to be, that would be grounds for calling them out on it.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 04:42:26 am »

I'm not in on the wiccan thing pun. Because I get the impression that that was supposed to be funny. (it wasn't)

If you have problems talkin to girls, then do this:
Find a stranger, and ask them anything. What hour is it is good enough.
Now rinse and repeat.
Then try to start a legitimate conversation with a stranger.
I'm going to assume that because you are talking to men, you won't be affected by fear.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2010, 04:43:05 am »

There was a pun? Where?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »

Ah, i just dislike that neo, magic, worship stuff.

But the wiccan girls usually seem to look hot.

Yeah, I have a similar thing with retarded people.

I guess this means we aren't going to get along.

EDIT: That might seem a bit harsh, in retrospect.

But I mean it.

Go read a book.

Being a relatively new religion (around a hundred years old, now, if that), and developed by modern scholars and intellectuals, it's not like you have to spend time deciphering ancient and cryptic texts to understand what's going on.

EDIT2: For the curious (curious enough to ask the question, but not to Google it), the classical concept of 'The Elements' is used in a metaphorical context during rituals and ceremonies. Wikipedia has some good stuff on it. Takes about five seconds to read it. Less time than it would take to think of ignorant bullshit to spew, I imagine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:02:10 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

Ah come on. I dislike religion per se; But it isn`t like i`d call the people that believe in such stuff stupid. I just can`t imagine being together with someone whose worldview differs that much from mine.

Special problem i got with wiccans is their magick. Believe what you want, but to believe that you can influence the world with some magic rituals is.. Not my cup of tea.

Oh, and please never tell me to read a book. I do this all the time- Currently i`m reading Carl von Clausewitz vom Kriege. A very good read.

And, as it happens, i have some books on magic lying around here. A Book from Gardenstone or however that guy is called and some others whose names i can`t remember. Hey, knowledge is power.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:13:56 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2010, 12:31:06 am »

I won't lie. Almost everything in that post only strengthens my belief that you are stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not typing out Carl von Clausewitz's "Vom Kriege" as though it were one long title was a typo or not, though. I honestly don't think you are in possession of any of the books you claim to have read.

CTRL + SHIFT to fix your '?' key, by the way.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2010, 05:06:44 am »

Yes, it was a mistake. I was in an hurry because i had to do store some wood.

I feel a bit wronged here; For i never said that i thought wiccans are stupid. A little, harmless pun- Come on! Everyone ought to be mocked from time to time. Else we take ourselves too serious. That little smiley should have indicated that it was just a joke, one of those that we use in everday conversation all the time.

I`m an agnostic atheist. I`m open to any religion, but so far no one could convince me. Now, the main thing i dislike about wicca is the magic as i said. There is just no evidence that it works.. And if there is no evidence for something i won`t believe in it.

I repeat, i don`t think wiccans are stupid. I just don`t share their believes- And why should it be stupid to say that you won`t be together with someone whose worldview differs so much from yours? I mean, would you be together with someone that shares my opinions?

In a relationship i want to be able to share my life with my girlfriend. Let`s say she is an hardcore wiccan and wants to take part in all their important rituals every year. Now, if i don`t believe in it there always would be a certain distance between us that couldn`t be brigded.

Sure, i could attend those rituals. But wouldn`t that be highly disrespectful? And if i don`t attend it would seem like i don`t support her.

In general i don`t care what other peoples on the internet think about me, but i`d like to think that you are a reasonable and educated person. Now, calling me stupid and doubting my words is highly disrespectful and unreasonable. If i`d wanted to give more weight to my arguments i could easily lie by claiming that i was once a wiccan, too, or that i once practiced magic. It`s the internet- A good lie is just clicks away.

I guess we should rest our debate in this thread, though i`m willing to debate with you via PM. Or maybe we should stop the debate entirely for apparently it was caused by a little misunderstanding.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2010, 05:20:54 am »

edit: ... actually, nvm, I have thought it better and have decided staying away from this particular rehasal of the argument. Since it's already going on in the general discussion
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:23:14 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2010, 01:31:57 pm »

At least the thread is still about flirting.......WITH INDIGNANT INTERNET-IRE!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I crack myself up.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »

There was a pun? Where?
Except if they are so hot that their mere touch sets things aflame.
I find /this/ rather punny, I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13