Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Flirting  (Read 14560 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flirting
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »

That's not very weird at all, actually. I'm like that and so are plenty of other people.

Besides, who cares what's weird? Even if you are weird, odds are you're looking for other weird people, so there's no problem there. What matters is what works.

I know I'd be pretty pissed off if the people I met cared more about how I liked than who I am, since I prefer actually getting to know people instead of getting treated like a walking masturbation aid.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 08:45:34 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she wants me to ask her to homecoming.

Now I just need to recover (read:be off of narcotic-rated painkillers) before the end of this week.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »

You might be better off just letting this go. Between delays, your knee surgery, and not picking up on her hinting at first, this has high potiential to end in disaster for you. Besides, jumping off of your high-strength pain pills early for a date is just stupid, if that's what you plan on doing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:19 pm »

I think a girl may be flirting with me, but I'm not sure if she is.

I'm horribly inexperienced with girls, so how do I tell if she really is flirting with me, or is it all just in my head?
What exactly is she doing?

Waving to me every time she sees me, telling me that she doesn't have a homecoming date yet. I'm not sure if she was hinting that she wanted me to ask her or not.

*facepalm*

This is why stupid people breed faster than smart people. Smart people are actually really, very, stupid.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 06:00:37 am »

So you mean, just ask over facebook chat?

Oh, BTW, facebook chat is the worst way you can do it. Even facebook messaging or posting on her wall is better. I get really annoyed when I'm playing poker and some chick decides to go "hey, how are you?"

You can flirt online. I've hooked up with a catwalk model/engineer, a romance novelist, and my current girlfriend through just IRC or SMS. It's certainly not impossible.. in fact, you're less like to say something stupid because you have more time to think. She's going to be less shy about it.

Instead of communicating to her via Facebook, try to get her phone number. If she's fine with text messaging, send her a text message after dinner, or just whenever you expect her to feel lonely. If not, ask when is a good time to call her and call her then. Not too late, though, don't want to bother her while she's trying to sleep. And if you do it for a few weeks/months, you'll get the "I'm bored, I can't sleep" SMS from her late at night. You'll get some interesting conversations from her then, and possibly a chance for some fun ;)

I'm horribly inexperienced with girls, so how do I tell if she really is flirting with me, or is it all just in my head?

Waving to me every time she sees me, telling me that she doesn't have a homecoming date yet. I'm not sure if she was hinting that she wanted me to ask her or not.

*facepalm*

This is why stupid people breed faster than smart people. Smart people are actually really, very, stupid.

This is funny because it's true :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 06:58:23 am »

And yet you advise people to text for weeks before its funtime. You must be one of the highly intelligent people. :D

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:09 am »

*facepalm*

Again, 15 and horribly inexperienced with girls. That's why I'm asking instead of just fucking up my chances with her entirely, like I have with the past girls I had a chance with.

And I'm not going to cut down on painkillers just to ask her out. I said that mainly because of the, well, painkillers. They make me confused and disoriented instead of drowsy.

These drugs are quite strong, narcotic-strength painkillers. I'm cutting down on them so I can get back to school, and I hate being so dependent on a pill.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:23 am »

I disagree with texting, Muz, calls are better. In-person conversation > phonecall > text > internet chat > (e)mail.

Anyway, if your recovery is going to take more than a week, you'll have to resort to indirect communication for starters. Ask her to come visit you and help you catch up with schoolwork, so you don't fall behind. Once she's there, wing it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 10:47:25 am »

I disagree with texting, Muz, calls are better. In-person conversation > phonecall > text > internet chat > (e)mail.

Though if you wind up in a long-distance relationship, mail + phonecall/text/whatever is better than just electronic communication, in my opinion.  There's nothing quite like a handwritten letter :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:48 pm »

Avoid texting like the devil. If you're going to send her 'text' messaging, make her an invitation to the homecoming dance.

John Smith
most courteously requests the presense of
Jane Doe
on the evening of Sept. 28th for the
Homecoming Dance

Print that or something like it on a piece of white cardstock, trim it down to a square, and rubber cement it to a black construction paper square to give it a nice frame. Then give it like, a pass-through a colonge mist. Just not too much. Then slip it in her locker or hand it to her in an envelope at the end of lunch and tell her she can't open it until her last class, and you'll be waiting your locker for a reply. This makes it a giddy little surprise at the end of the day.

This can go in two ways.

1. She's impressed you actually went to some degree of effort to invite her.
-Her friends go all 'aaww that's so cute!' and you're in good with them later on when she needs their advise if the relationship is worth saving.
2. She mocks and ridicules you, and the note becomes a laughingstock.
-Her friends all laugh with her but wish their boyfriends did something that thoughtful. Better opportunities come later.

Or just... yeah. Ask her out 'normally'.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 02:25:22 pm »

Or you could just let this go and move on with your life. It's just a dance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »

We can dance if we want to...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 03:05:10 pm »

I dunno, texting worked great 100% of the time for me. It's how I met my fiancee, we still mark our anniversary to that day I first sent her that text message. I hear texting is different where you live, but where I come from, people text each other way more than they'd call each other because phone calls get expensive. And some people get shy over more personal contact like calls and face to face meetings, so texting is a great way to overcome that shyness.

Calls are also a lot more difficult to time right - you might catch them when they're out with friends or watching a movie and getting your call ignored when you're already nervous is pretty hard on the self-esteem. With a text message, they're more likely to respond at their leisure so you can get a judge of when they're free.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

The reason people here are disagreeing so much when it comes to practices like texting should be fairly obvious: It depends on the people involved (and what they're comfortable with), contextual social norms, and a variety of other factors that can't really be generalized.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »

Other than generalizing they exist, that is.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13