Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Flirting  (Read 14552 times)

Starkos127

• Bay Watcher
  • Nemesis: Ogallala Aquifer
    • View Profile
Re: Flirting
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:34 pm »

Today I was at work, and I realized that for the longest time now, I've always thought it was somehow innapropriate to express interest in the opposite sex. The things I learn when not in college, whoa.
Yes, that is a robocarp

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2010, 04:01:01 am »

At first I groaned inwardly when I saw this thread was still open. Then I saw this.

There is no such thing as a friend zone. That's just something guys made up to explain why their female friends aren't attracted to them.

Go for it.

Grakelin, if I had some kind of internet-money, I'd be showering it on you right now. Thank you for that; that stupid friend-zone thing is the most annoying thing guys say (and really seem to believe) on the internet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:44 am »

OK, for the sake of science, go through the list of your guy friends in your head and count how many you'd sleep with based on sexiness alone (ie ignore issues such as him or you being in another relationship, or personality flaws which would make him bad LTR material). I'm expecting the answer to be zero. IIRC there was a documentary on NatGeo or some-such where they explained how friends get interpreted as family (a remnant from the cave times) and there's natural aversion to incest. The friend zone thing happens with guys as well, but to a far lesser extent since we're far more promiscuous.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:49 am »

It's also plenty older than Internet dating advice threads, if Chris Rock's early 90s stand-up routines are any indication.  Or, y'know, if you've listened to women talk about guys they know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

Chris Rock: Relationship Expert Extraordinaire! I admit, I can't argue with him, if he says it its true.

That admission in hand, I think a lot of people are missing the point on this one. It's not an issue of "friend zones" so much as an issue of "attractive zones." Women, presumably like men, will befriend someone they find unattractive if they like their personality. I don't think that should come as shocking. Women also will befriend people they find attractive, I promise you. There's certainly a subtle sexual dynamic to it, sure, but that doesn't make them any less friends. The idea that women decide if someone is "friend" material or "whatever you call the one they want to bone" material when they first meet them is actually pretty degrading. I assure you, its possible to be in both.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

Story
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I learned some do's and don'ts from watching those people try to flirt with her. It seems like when guys get desperate, they hit on people without really knowing them, or even a simple background check, to make sure they aren't wasting their time. If that girl had a more interesting personality, or wasn't bogged down with personal issues, she'd appear more attractive. This also goes for guys too, if you look good, then talk about how your parents abuse you, it doesn't come off well at all. Both back then and now, my working out adds to attractiveness, and staying mellow or happy, dealing with your problems, and not talking about them as general conversation will greatly boost your outward attractiveness.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2010, 04:21:47 pm »

First off: What have I created here?
Second off: I'm starting to realize how attractive some girls can be simply because they're easy to talk to. This girl I'm talking to now has to be one of the prettiest (she has these light brown eyes and a bright smile), nicest, coolest girls I've met. Did I mention she loves ice hockey?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »

Lucky dude then.

So, I guess this would be the place for it. I've gotten good at the whole at-a-party-lets-hookup-for-a-week thing, and I have a semi-decent track record at starting relationships with strangers. My problem is I'm already friends with the person I'd like to pursue. I'm killing myself with the task of expressing interest without pressuring her. Halp?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2010, 11:48:43 pm »

Grakelin, if I had some kind of internet-money, I'd be showering it on you right now. Thank you for that; that stupid friend-zone thing is the most annoying thing guys say (and really seem to believe) on the internet.
Are you kidding me? I've fallen into the "friend" zone repeatedly. It take a loooong time, but once they hit "best friend" status without any romantic interests displayed from either of you, if you take long enough you'll know them too well. You know that best friend you love hanging with, but if you had to live with him you'd want to strangle them? It's where you skip the whole romance and breakup and go right to the "we're not really life-partner compatible". Saves a lot of effort though.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

Lucky dude then.

So, I guess this would be the place for it. I've gotten good at the whole at-a-party-lets-hookup-for-a-week thing, and I have a semi-decent track record at starting relationships with strangers. My problem is I'm already friends with the person I'd like to pursue. I'm killing myself with the task of expressing interest without pressuring her. Halp?
Openly flirt with her, don't drop hints and don't ask her out, you just need to be very flirty and that should urge her to consider you more as a romantic interest. It's gotten me out of the friend zone a few times anyway.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:18:18 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »

Shit, I was hoping for some sort of cheatcode that boosted my Suave stat. But, 2 recommendations for honesty is enough for me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2010, 06:29:44 pm »

Shit, I was hoping for some sort of cheatcode that boosted my Suave stat. But, 2 recommendations for honesty is enough for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcyNANK5cY
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2010, 06:34:51 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:22:15 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

Pictured Above: The Worst Advice In The World (I'm going to be proven wrong in about 30 seconds, I know)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15S0g8pG6HU&NR=1
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13