Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restricting Areas to the dwarfs  (Read 471 times)

Diavolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restricting Areas to the dwarfs
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:00:03 am »

hey all, Im having a little problem with my stupid dwarfs. I dug down down down for a while to hopefully find some magma and possibly some nice metal ores, and instead of magma I found a cavern. At first I thought that was cool, since it was an easy way of getting lots of nice metals. However, I quickly found out that there were some giant olms living there and they enjoy killing my dwarfs. FUN :D

So I figured I'd restrict the dwarfs from going down there, by making an area from one stairwell to the one below blocked by an area being restricted traffic.
Code: [Select]
rrrrrrrrrrr
rrxrrrrxrr
rrrrrrrrrrr

now my areas looks like this with the x'es being stairwells and the r's being restricted area. However, my dwarfs dont care about restrictions it seems, so they still go down there to collect silk and such. I tried building a wall, but the dwarfs tend to get on the wrong side of the wall and also they pick resources from below the wall even though that area is restriced too. (and then a bunch of them gets on the wrong side of the wall.)

Anyone got any tips for this? how to force your dwarfs from going a specific place? I ofcourse intend on making lots of traps and walls to stop the beasts from coming up, but my biggest problem is my dwarfs going down.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restricting Areas to the dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:02:07 am »

It seems to me that restricted traffic areas are ignored if they are the only possible way.

Build a door and disallow the usage of it (tightly shut).
Build a bridge and pull it up.
Build a wall (and another right behind it, suspending it, so the builder will end on the right side).

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:38:47 am »

Restricted Traffic only makes those tiles less preferable than other tiles... it basically tells the pathfinder to treat moving through one Restricted Square like it would treat moving through 25 High-Traffic Squares.

You can use Burrows to forbid non-military dwarves, or even all dwarves, from those areas though... or forbid all the silk down below.

(The link is to a cached version of the DF Wiki, since it appears to be down at the moment)

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:48:09 am »

And if the only possible way is one through "low traffic" areas, it greatly decreases the FPS.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:59:22 am »

You can also use the
  • rders menu to stop them from auto-looming silk

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:46:10 am »

to specify, it is o, W, then whatever letter is next to "Auto Collect Webs", i think w.

Took me FOREVER to figure that out. I used to just forbid all the webs.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Diavolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:08:55 am »

thanks for all the help :D First I tried wall. First get all my people to a burrow and then hit "release" and hope they managed to build the wall before they other stormed down. That didnt work :( Then I tried building a bridge that raises with a lever placed inside the "contain the dwarfs burrow". It should have worked, but the gate/bridge wouldnt close. (perhaps underground gates cant be raised?)

Then I tried just a simple door that is closed shut tight. That worked :D Placed a lot of weapon traps in an alley in front of the door (from the below side) so if any enemies come an try to bash down the door they will get killed by the traps.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:10:29 am »

You could also now that the door is closed, build a wall right behind it. This might add insult to confusion when a ugly beast comes playing wolf at your door. ;)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:03:36 pm »

Caverns give you the illusion that they are in some way concentrations of wealth.  This is not the case however: they simply give you a cross-section view of the wealth available throughout the entirety of the map, and give you all the announcements at once.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."