Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN  (Read 13040 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »

I can reach the top of the fridge, thank you, due to my freakishly monkey like arms.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:29 am »

Helpful advice: Japanese toilets are not the same as ours. This is something it's nice to know beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan#Squat_toilet

Apparently there's lots of western-style ones around, but that type is still common in some places (like public restrooms).

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2010, 06:09:20 am »

I think the main reason why everyone's always like "wow, japan's so weird" when comparing it to places like Australia, England and America is because the latter are all based on basically the same cultural template.  So there are minor variations, but it's still all basically things we're familiar with (we just mock the slang).

Japan, on the other hand, is a completely different culture, so things are are normal for their culture are crazy and strange to ours - hence, the lolz.

That said, I think this tendency to "act like a dick and pretend you're american" vs "act nice and say you're an aussie" may very well be a significant factor in why most countries think all american tourists are dicks.  It's because EVERYONE is giving us a bad reputation while simultaneously no americans who aren't dicks are giving america the credit!

So if everyone just was honest about where you're from, then we could see if all american tourists are dicks*.

Spoiler: *Footnote (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:38 am »

I can reach the top of the fridge, thank you, due to my freakishly monkey like arms.

So you're a hammerthrower?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2010, 06:37:29 am »

So if everyone just was honest about where you're from, then we could see if all american tourists are dicks*.

Spoiler: *Footnote (click to show/hide)

No, no...it's because we are dicks. Collectively speaking, at least. When I was in Australia, we were camped near Uluru when one of our local guides called in a few favors and got some of the local Pitjanjatjara folk to come by and do some traditional singing and dancing. VERY cool (and flattering) turn of events.

And then this 40-something couple showed up. I swear to the gods, they could not have been bigger stereotypes if they tried. They were both loud (with a New Jersey accent), both fat, he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts (IN THE DESERT) and sandals with black socks. And she had on a big straw sunhat, humongously oversized sunglasses and a flowery smock.

And they started videotaping. Which is a BIG no-no to the aboriginals (whole thing about how capturing images of someone captures their soul). When we politely asked them to stop and explained why, they blew us off because we were teenagers and because "that's a stupid superstition". At least, until one of the group who was also a football player (and from New Jersey himself) flat-out told them to put the camcorder away before he shoved it in a place most uncomfortable.

That was an epiphany moment for me, because I had heard of the "Ugly American" but never actually seen it in action before.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:19 am »

So, you're going to japan....

Whelp, just don't stop in India on the way back. that's my turf.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 06:50:32 am »

So you're a hammerthrower?

No, but I played bass for a while.

Also: Japan won't let Paris Hilton in. One more reason to go there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2010, 06:53:02 am »

also, what's so bad about squat toilets? they rock.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2010, 06:58:32 am »

Also: Japan won't let Paris Hilton in. One more reason to go there.
I was wondering, if Paris Hilton won't let Japan in too, is this enough of a reason to go there?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 07:00:03 am »

Sure. At the very least, you're a little less likely to catch an STD from Japan.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2010, 07:02:35 am »

also, what's so bad about squat toilets? they rock.
Everyone knows sofa toilets rock harder than squat toilets.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2010, 07:30:23 am »

That said, I think this tendency to "act like a dick and pretend you're american" vs "act nice and say you're an aussie" may very well be a significant factor in why most countries think all american tourists are dicks.  It's because EVERYONE is giving us a bad reputation while simultaneously no americans who aren't dicks are giving america the credit!

This is actually an outdated stereotype.  People may have their individual anecdotes about an American tourist, but since the 00s or so, we've placed in the top 10 BEST tourists (alongside other major English speaking countries besides NZ).

From my own experience as an expat and from the Americans I've known abroad, telling people you're American typically leads into making fun of Bush, followed by conversations about basketball, movies, where they want to visit in the states, etc.

I actually met a lot of ozzies and brits out there who claimed to "hate Americans" until they actually met people from the States.  Some of them don't mind America but just keep recycling old jokes from the 80s and 90s...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2010, 07:48:46 am »

The only people I know in New Zealand and Australia who hate Americans don't know any Americans.

Kinda depressing, really.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2010, 07:49:23 am »

I actually met a lot of ozzies and brits out there who claimed to "hate Americans" until they actually met people from the States.  Some of them don't mind America but just keep recycling old jokes from the 80s and 90s...
Well, that goes for anything anyone says they hate. After all, it's the generalized picture people hate, not individual objects.
Love, scriver~

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:44 am »

When I went to New Zealand and Australia, I noticed New Zealand was about 10 years behind in music. Of course that was two years ago, are they now 12 years behind, or are they catching up?

Sydney seemed like a mash-up of America and England, with a lot more Asians than I anticipated. And apparently Guam is like the Hawaii of Japan.

Please correct my insight.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9