Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN  (Read 13035 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:09 am »

Michael Jackson is popular in both Japan and India.

why is this?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:18 am »

Michael Jackson is popular in both Japan and India.

why is this?
The Japanese enjoy spectacles, and Mike is certainly a different show. I wonder if they like cirque du soleil.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:09 am »

Helpful advice: Japanese toilets are not the same as ours. This is something it's nice to know beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan#Squat_toilet

Apparently there's lots of western-style ones around, but that type is still common in some places (like public restrooms).
You get (or got?  Can't remember having seen something like that for a while) something fairly similar in France.

Incidentally, you get a lot of tourists where I live.  American and Japanese tourists both seem perfectly friendly (if unable to read maps).

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2010, 04:45:44 pm »

I occasionally wonder if a loss of map reading skill is an urban trait, if only because I never had a problem with it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

Considering I remember classes in grade school where they taught us to read maps...I question if any of them ever really gained the skill. When you live in a grid-based environment and the only relevant map you need is a metro map....yeah. That's probably the extent to which they learn to read them in cities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

I wanted to add that in my post, but yeah. Now out in the plains all the roads are numbered stuff like 2100 N or 900 E based on yards from the center point of the county. You can tell you crossed county lines because the perpendicular roads switch letters and start counting backwards. In the hills, however, its pretty much navigating a crosseyed spider's web.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »

Australian country is fairly heavily dependent on maps, but Melbourne, at least, is all nice and convenient and gridded. God have mercy on the Brisbanites, and wrath upon their traffic designers.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:17 pm »

And apparently Guam is like the Hawaii of Japan.
Isn't Guam an unincorporated territory of the U.S.?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

Yes, and I bet 9 out of every 10 Australians couldn't tell you what it was, let alone point it out on a map.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »

Even if they were asked by an interviewer looking for the dumbest looking people on the street?

I would enjoy it immensely if one of those interviewers ever asked me to point out some countries on a map. I spent my entire summer memorizing the world, down to the major rivers and mountain ranges. The names of every sea and the names of the 3 biggest/deepest lakes in the world are next.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »

GOD DAMN I HATE MAPS.

THEY ARE THE MOST AGGRAVATING SUBJECT POSSIBLE TO STUDY, AND I HAVE A SEMESTER FILLED WITH IT.

HAAAAAATE
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 08:33:35 pm »

It's just that not many people know or care about the small islands hundreds and occasionally thousands of miles to the north of the tip of the country. I didn't know there was a New Britain or New Ireland until I was going over a map for something to do.

Does anyone else like doing that? I mean, obviously Barbarossa does, but anyone else? Just looking over maps and working out where everything is. I love it, for some reason.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »

GOD DAMN I HATE MAPS.

I agree. I dislike maps as well.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

Yeah, minor map locations are annoy-

Oh, god damnit Criptfeind, not you too.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9