Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN  (Read 13061 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELL YEAH GOIN TO JAPAN
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 05:43:47 pm »

You guys need to work something better out. Each time I see nenjin post I think he's you and then he posts something insightful and it's like woah.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 05:46:28 pm »

I had it first.

I will defend my right to say stupid things to the death.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 06:00:12 pm »

It seems odd - there's a large aversion to "America LOL" threads and the like, but every time Japan comes up everyone's free to bash it.

I mean, sure, you can find lots of examples of weird stuff, but it's not difficult to find horrible stuff about America/ Britain/ Australia/ anywhere else on the internet. The thing is, while there are plenty of people here from Britain and America who will correct silly generalizations (eg, "You're not allowed to mention the word Christmas" or "Everyone's a fanatically religious loon") we don't really have many people from Japan who could do the same.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »

Yeah, and also, Japan is really, really strange compared to Australia, America, Britain and so on. All those places have their problems, yes, but they're also similar in look and function. Japan is different on a scale none of those countries could match when compared to one another, and it's an unfortunate fact that difference on that level invites ridicule. And funny jokes. But mostly ridicule.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 06:12:32 pm »

It seems odd - there's a large aversion to "America LOL" threads and the like, but every time Japan comes up everyone's free to bash it.

There's a lot of beautiful things about Japan.  On the other hand, I have an entire book of Japanese sayings/idioms about women, like "hako-iri musume," which pretty much means "a girl put in a box."  To protect her virginity.  Because it's still a massive commodity.

Or the fact that the word for the wedding veil literally means "to hide the horns," because women are demons.

So, yes, no matter how much I adore certain parts of Japanese culture, I can't exactly say I'm fond of it as a whole.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »

They hang up streamers, when they have the cherry festival...

And they are made of wierd material, and when westerners walk through there, because we're too tall, they cut my face.
And if you push them aside, they cut your hands.

But I love japan as a whole.
Less-so that you can buy used underwear on the black market, and that pedophilia has been illegal for just over fifty years. (could be wrong on that one).
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 06:50:18 pm »

I hear they have 'maid cafes' where girls in maid outfits pretend to be servants to nerds. I recommend them so you can get an idea how happily married I am.
I look forward to being unhappily married, then.

Just find a man like me, and you'll be okay. You know, a wife.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »

Yeah. I feel that the longer I stay out here, the lower my chances of Marriage-dom g-

Wow. I'm way too young to be thinking of this stuff.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »

If your profile is correct, then yes, yes you are. Wait at least a good 5-7 years before tying yourself to any one person.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 07:01:08 pm »

And if they still don't get annoyed at you after that, you can probably marry them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:40 pm »

I didn't realize this was the OG of Realm's avatar when I saw it. That's how convincing a ninja mask is at disguising your identity. So I'm stickin' with this!

I'd modify it with something trite like "NOT REALM" at the top, but since my avatar is hosted from another forum where I use it, no one would get the joke.

Maybe I'll start posting like Realm just to mess with Jackrabbit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:06:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »

Maybe i will start posting all intelligent like, to mess with him more.

Hahahaha.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:09 pm »

I also get really confused when I see Nenjin post.
Shoes...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

It's easier than you're making it. If you see teeth, it's nenjin.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »

It's easier than you're making it. If you see teeth, it's nenjin.

Realmfighter has no teeth!?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9