Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't plant anything  (Read 886 times)

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
Can't plant anything
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:55:26 pm »

I updated to 31.12 today from 28.something and started a new fortress and dug out a big area for indoor farming, when I went to plant stuff it said I didn't have any seeds I could plant even though I have Plump Helmet spawn (they're siting one square away from a farm plot). What do I do?
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can't plant anything
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »

Add water to make mud.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:00:22 pm »

Well that makes me feel silly, how exactly do I do that? I'm still not used to this new more complicated version.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:39 pm »

I have a similar problem; I've muddied the farms plots and all was well for a year, but when the next year came the farm plots when from red (muddied) to brown (unmuddied) and have been so ever since. I remuddied them and the same things happened. What's going on?

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:46 am »

Well that makes me feel silly, how exactly do I do that? I'm still not used to this new more complicated version.

Water + ground = mud

There's several ways. Easiest is to dig a cavern three tiles away from a pond. Put a floodgate and fortification in the two tiles next to your plot. The third tile you can channel from above (the next highest z level). Lift floodgate to flood, close floodgate to stop flooding. Since you don't want more than 1/7 water per tile, it may help to build a drainage channel.

You can always create a room above your desired farm, channel the center out, set it to be a pond, and your dwarfs will manually fill it with water by way of buckets. (This way sucks).

There's a lot more creative ways, I love U-tubes but suffice it to say, get water to your soil and it will muddy.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:49:34 am »

I have a similar problem; I've muddied the farms plots and all was well for a year, but when the next year came the farm plots when from red (muddied) to brown (unmuddied) and have been so ever since. I remuddied them and the same things happened. What's going on?

Did you smooth the stone ? Then the dwarves will helpfully clean the mud away again :)
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:21 am »

...Fuck.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »

...Fuck.

all is not lost.  simply build some floors over the area and then deconstruct them, the floor should be reverted to its un-smoothed state, so you can re-muddy and then remember not to smooth it again  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

I do two things, I drain ponds and just use the empty pond as a farm, or I breach a cavarn, and very quickly find a large patch of mud, and then completely wall and floor it off.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:45:06 pm »

Actually, I just had it designated for smoothing. I just undesignated it and boom, problem solved.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:56:04 am »

Recently I've taken to breaching the caverns and then digging out wide swathes of underground soil and then just gathering the plants.  It better simulates the large areas of land that should be necessary to feed a dwarven fortress. Unfortunately this results in an excessive number of dimple-cups which can't be made into anything useful.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

Recently I've taken to breaching the caverns and then digging out wide swathes of underground soil and then just gathering the plants.  It better simulates the large areas of land that should be necessary to feed a dwarven fortress. Unfortunately this results in an excessive number of dimple-cups which can't be made into anything useful.

I do the same thing, but for tower-caps, during sieges.

It takes forever to did though.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:32 am »

Yes, it does have a certain synergy with training up a new batch of legendary miners.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."