Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced World Generation Settings  (Read 1116 times)

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced World Generation Settings
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:47:26 pm »

Hey Everyone,

So to start things off I may be asking for the impossible, but maybe there might be some settings to get close to what I want.
If you know any world gen settings to create the following please let me know.

1) I like volcanoes near streams. Not brooks, streams.

2) I would love it if most the world if not all could be warm. I've messed around with temperature setting and tried going through the wiki and forums but I could never get a world all warm. Its always top or bottom Freezing the other Scorching, and only having warm in the middle.

3) I would like to minimize soil layers. I hate not being able to smooth my sand/peat walls and building walls inside them doesn't look good.

4) How do I make mountain ranges be less about taking up half the world?

Thanks everyone for your help. It's much appreciated.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced World Generation Settings
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »

1) Good Luck with that (I've never seen one).

2) Good Luck with that (Hot Pole & Cold Pole are apparently Hard-coded, but redefining the Temp range might enlarge the "middle/warm" portion).

3) Embark on/near Hills or Mountains?

4.1) Set Min Mountain Peaks to 0.
4.2) Nullify Min "High Elevation" regions.
4.3) Enable "Periodically Erode Extremes"
4.4) Maximise (1000?) Erosion Cycles.
4.5) Minimise/Nullify the "Mountain Region" counts.
4.6) You could try enabling Elevation meshes & skewing them Low, but (a) I haven't fiddled with them, (b) you apparently like Volcanos & AIUI they require Elevation 400 regions (i.e. Mountains).
4.7) Increase the number of Oceans.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:38:16 pm »

1: You'd just have to set a world to generate a ton of rivers and volcanoes. You could set it to a retardedly high number and when it gives you the "can't generate enough xxx" error at world generation, just tell it to ignore all errors.

2: the poles are hard coded to be frozen and scorching. You can *not* change it without memory hacking, if at all.

3: there's no way to reduce them below 1 level without removing them from the raws, and i have no idea if the game would even run without them or not. Might as well try saving a copy of the raw file with soil in it and if it doesn't work fix it.

4: The only thing i can think of beside designing your own world with PerfectWorldDF is reducing the number of peaks.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:14:37 am »

You can try increasing the middle value for the temperature weighting range to its maximum of 10000. I do this in my world generation to maximise the number of glacier and tundra regions accessible to traders.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:01:44 am »

Erm, the mesh thing doesn't need to be enabled to make the weighted ranges work, I believe.  And volcanos don't need high elevation.  They'll frequently appear in the middle of the ocean.  They do create a mountain around them, so they're inevitably at high elevation, but that's a trait of the volcano, not where it's placed.

But aynway, weight the second highest level of elevation higher and the highest lower and there should be less mountain ranges, I think.

Or increase the elevation X and Y variance and you'll get not less mountains, but they'll be scattered more.  Or mess around with PerfectWorld.

As for temperature extremes, make the min and max temperature 50, but I don't think that will actually change the poles....  Haven't tried it myself because I like freezing biomes :P  Soil you can avoid by embarking almost entirely in mountains or glacier.  (You can't embark entirely in mountains, but you can have it so the soil is a tiny block in the corner you don't plan to use)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:55:00 am »

Hey Everyone,

So to start things off I may be asking for the impossible, but maybe there might be some settings to get close to what I want.
If you know any world gen settings to create the following please let me know.

1) I like volcanoes near streams. Not brooks, streams.

2) I would love it if most the world if not all could be warm. I've messed around with temperature setting and tried going through the wiki and forums but I could never get a world all warm. Its always top or bottom Freezing the other Scorching, and only having warm in the middle.

3) I would like to minimize soil layers. I hate not being able to smooth my sand/peat walls and building walls inside them doesn't look good.

4) How do I make mountain ranges be less about taking up half the world?

Thanks everyone for your help. It's much appreciated.
1.Erosion makes that unlikely.
2.I found that setting max/min temp. to 65, changing x-axis to 100 and y-axis to 0 provides almost full map coverage.
3.You can remove layers from your RAW file.
4.You can change the min. mountain tiles in the worldgen parameters.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.