Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod Question  (Read 588 times)

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Question
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:27:06 pm »

I was thinking earlier while doing some yard work about Dwarf Fortress and the lumber industry in it. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what parts, if any of this, would be possible via modding.

Trees only produce one log in DF and each log can only create one thing, but in the real world a single tree can produce enough wood to make many many items.

So I was thinking, what if one modded trees so when chopped down they produce a single Felled Tree which then must be taken to a shop where it is broken down into a number of logs?

I then thought about the mechanics of dragging around a felled tree. They're big and bulky. Perhaps it could be modded so work animals (horses, donkeys, mules, elephants) could be trained to carry/drag the felled trees to the shop. They could be assigned to wood cutters and follow them around to help drag the trees back.

But then, I don't know what parts if any of this could be done via mod and what would have to be done in the programming of the game by Toady. So, again, if someone could tell me what parts are possible via mod that would be cool.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:10 am »

you could make a copy of the bituminous coal to coke thing, except change the coal to the log, and make planks outta it, and mod EVERYTHING that requires logs to require the new planks instead :P