Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About corksrew  (Read 752 times)

Chrislee83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About corksrew
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:18 pm »

Where could I construct other materials of corksrew besides wood? I could make it in carpentry. But I don't think wooden corksrew could bear magma when I pump, right?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: About corksrew
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »

Various kinds of glass and metal.

You need to build either traditionally powered or magma powered glass furnaces/forges.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »

If you want to pump magma, you'll need magma-safe materials for the corkscrew, pipe segment, and block. Iron and steel are magma safe, as are all 3 types of glass. Wood is most definitely not magma-safe.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:19:35 pm »

Nickel is also magma-safe.  It's not useful for very much else though, but that means if you have a choice between iron and nickel for an object that needs to be magma-proof, nickel would be the netter choice.

However, while you can make pipe-sections out of nickel, you can't use it to make trap components like corkscrews.  Iron corkscrews are your friend.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

I have a 10 z-level pumpstack made entirely of iron that pumps water from the local river to a cistern. Good things Today hasn't implemented rust, eh?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:24:14 pm »

Glass is definitely the best. It's renewable and easy to get. Plus all 3 components can be built out of it. If you don't have sand it will be hard since you will need a lot of iron/steel. Having dealt with volcanoes and magma pumps, I recommend simply building your base right above the magma in a non-volcanic tile. Pumps take WAY too long to build if you have a meaningful number of z-levels to go and it really isn't worth it. There is very little to do on the surface except cutting down trees and fighting enemies. Well, okay, also surface farms if you want to grow that special crop that makes great booze. Otherwise, all of the mining takes place below where the adamantine and gold are. And god forbid you run into a cavern while building your pump. You'll have a hard time finding a straight line down to the magma. Volcanoes also have no flux/coal and IMO it's not worth it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:28:39 pm by vassock »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:34:18 pm »

Wood is most definitely not magma-safe.

Unless you have access to Nether-cap.

AFAIK Nether-cap Wood/Logs/Products should be Magma-safe as the wood should never achieve a temp other than 10k Urists regardless of circumstances/surroundings.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:46:01 am »

In my current fort I'm building a 120 z-level high pump stack to get magma. I use iron for the corkscrews and pipe sections. It's not ready yet, but almost. It goes through 2 cavern levels, one with several level of constructions. It also crosses a water cavern, which it circumvents, so it's not entirely straight.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:29:10 am »

Regarding Vulcanoes and Flux:
Hm, I have a lot of Marble about 30 levels below the surface right next to a volcanoe (not even 2 tiles apart).