Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soud/Noise Updates  (Read 585 times)

Doomsought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soud/Noise Updates
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »

For a while we have had our dwarfs complaining about too much noise when they sleep, so how about some up dates for that system.
Like noises dwarfs like. OR demonic screams, to warn us about the HFS.
Should probably be added to the RAWS in an editable manner, a noise token in each reaction and a list of noise types.
Three goals for this: Music, Lectures and perhaps a way to determine which noise give a dwarf Happy thoughts.

possible syntax (Reaction): [NOISE:prob:range:type:subtype]

as for tokens for the noise objects themselves:  NAME, PREFSTRING, SOOTHING (generates happy thoughts in sleep), (a personality type based modifier on if happy thoughts are generated) TASTE:personality_type:modifer

We'd also probably need a GET_NOISE_FROM_REAGENT token, and a noise token that can be placed in instruments, for the bandstand.

Init files:
enable/disable noise effects, for FPS.

buildings:
bandstand

a noise viewer mode might also be nice, something like Depot access viewer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:30:28 am by Doomsought »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soud/Noise Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:58 am »

For a while we have had our dwarfs complaining about too much noise when they sleep, so how about some up dates for that system.
Like noises dwarfs like. OR demonic screams, to warn us about the HFS.
Should probably be added to the RAWS in an editable manner, a noise token in each reaction and a list of noise types.
Three goals for this: Music, Lectures and perhaps a way to determine which noise give a dwarf Happy thoughts.

possible syntax (Reaction): [NOISE:prob:range:type:subtype]

as for tokens for the noise objects themselves:  NAME, PREFSTRING, SOOTHING (generates happy thoughts in sleep), (a personality type based modifier on if happy thoughts are generated) TASTE:personality_type:modifer

We'd also probably need a GET_NOISE_FROM_REAGENT token, and a noise token that can be placed in instruments, for the bandstand.

buildings:
bandstand

a noise viewer mode might also be nice.

How about an option to turn off all noise? I think it would ease on the CPU load and give more FPS. Noise doesn't seem that essential to me.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:37 am »

buildings:
bandstand

We could have Dwarven IDOLS competitions!
And a Big Brother house with elves and humans! - Man, how would they cope with a surprise kobold and goblin being part of the cast!?

This really seems critically essential to the game... to add to the realism!

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:47:52 pm »

I agree that there should be some kind of visual aid, as I cannot hear the sounds myself, nor can I ever remember the rules, something like 15 tiles in x y or z direction? 15 levels???

It would be nice to be able to dissable sounds altogether to save on FPS, but is there really any way to test the impact of sounds to FPS? Anyone privy as to how sounds are currently handled?
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Doomsought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:41 am »

Its completely hidden. but I think sound is currently only 5 spaces in any direction.
If anyone has any other good ideas for the noise wish-list, I'll put them up.