Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: gator moat  (Read 1904 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
gator moat
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »

i tried looking up the answer for this but couldnt really find anything.  i have a moat and im gonna throw in some gators i got from the elves in there to breed. question is, since my most is only a 1 zlevel channel (ramps removed) can the gator just swim out of there?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gator moat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »

I believe swimming creatures can just waddle out of 7/7 one z-level moats.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:39 pm »

i wish i had this concern when i was first digging the moat.

well im gonna do a little science to try and figure out if maybe 6/7 water can contain these bad boys.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »

You could just dig a 2 z-level deep moat and fill only the bottom level.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:44 pm »

yeah i have some plumbing (to bring water down throughout the whole fort, irrigation, wells, etc) under the moat. it would kill the design.

they def cant get out if there is no water in there, maybe its just a case of figuring out the right water level.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

You might be better off just enclosing the moat with some walls and giving your 'gators freedom to roam. And leave a pet-impassable but not forbidden door on the outside... :D
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:24 pm »

Or better yet, build walls all around the moat and move your fort entance 1z-level up. Move the bridge and make ramps going up too.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:51 pm »

Or you could build a full swampy habitat for them, complete with patches of land to rest on, and the occasional pesky elf to chase down and eat.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:12 pm »

Or you could build a full swampy habitat for them, complete with patches of land to rest on, and the occasional pesky elf to chase down and eat.

He should build an entire zoo while he's at it. Do it!
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »

Abd make it shaped like pancreas.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:39:12 pm »

well, seems like gators can get out of 7/7 water, but 6/7 and lower they are not able to leave the channel.  also for some reason they are scared of 7/7 water, and path away from it.

now, how to stabilize the 1000 tiles of water in the moat at 6/7?

fps with the moat went from 180 to 140.  hopefully it will shoot up if the water is stable, and my power plants are off.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »

well stabilizing the moat water level is a complete loss since i forgot that there are some murky pool tiles that will collect rain water.  can i build a floor on those to prevent them from doing that?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »

well stabilizing the moat water level is a complete loss since i forgot that there are some murky pool tiles that will collect rain water.  can i build a floor on those to prevent them from doing that?

Yes. It is permanent. Never again can they serve as cachement. You can also just make them INSIDE by building up above them, since then rain won't hit them, and thus no water will be collected.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 02:05:07 am »

well this is retarded.  i stabilized the water at 6/7, but the gators dont move in 6/6 water.  i hope they are breathing.  raws have the SWIMS_INNATE tag.  they are just sitting exactly where i dropped them.

anybody have an idea as to whats going on?

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:48 am »

also they are not breeding even though they are tame, guess that the dungeon master at work.
Pages: [1] 2