Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So.. how to beat creatures made of Water? (spoiler maybe?)  (Read 1387 times)

notgrant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So.. how to beat creatures made of Water? (spoiler maybe?)
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:09:31 pm »

I have no goblins but lots of FB and even one dragon.  The dragon got caged but I have no dungeon master since there's no goblin raids.

Here's my latest FB: this one is made of Water!  What strategy works best against Water beasts?  My military is 6 squads of 3 dorfs each training 2/10.  Only one sqad of marksdorfs, the rest are wrestlers, macemen, swordsmen, spearmen etc.. not many are elite or very good because of the last FB that killed 30 dorfs while the military was waiting for the squad commander to finish eating, drinking, sleeping, etc... plus the last beast was practically unkillable - it has all red on everything, and was still slaying civvies left right and center.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: So.. how to beat creatures made of Water? (spoiler maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:22 pm »

Isn't it obvious?
Magma ;D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »

I think that "unkillable" creatures are much more vulnerable in the newer versions.
If it proves to be too much of a problem, cave something in on its head, of cast it in obsidian.

notgrant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:57 pm »

I think that "unkillable" creatures are much more vulnerable in the newer versions.
If it proves to be too much of a problem, cave something in on its head, of cast it in obsidian.

This is a 3.12 fort, if that makes a difference.  It also says beware his deadly dust, which I understand could be a problem as well..

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »

Yeah, unkillables have rarely been threat for a while now. What type of creature is it? If it's a blob or a slug or a snail or anything else that only has a 'body' and maybe a 'shell' or a '(left/right) wing,' all you have to do is beat it until its central body is "broken away" and it will immediately die. For something with a defined head or upper/lower body, slicing one of those parts off will instantly kill it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:09 pm »

Just throw Axedwarves at it until a critical hit is scored.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

My last water FB was killed by a random thresher punching it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »

If it were made of booze dwarves could just drink them to death.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:35:47 pm »

This is a 3.12 fort, if that makes a difference.  It also says beware his deadly dust, which I understand could be a problem as well..

"Deadly dust". Is that the type that occasionally kills itself with its own attack?

If so, do you have any goblins in cages? If so, toss one down there and see if the FB will self-destruct.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

Most of my water FBs have been killed within three attacks, seems like all you have to do is cut them open and all the water runs out, like a living bubble or something.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »

You could trap it in a room using a constructed wall (you may need to leave a migrant in there to distract it while you build the wall. Then, through a bit of channel digging, collapse a section of floor directly above the room onto the FB.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »

picks and axes do most of the work for me, especially those made from adamantine.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.