Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few more questions..... again, again.  (Read 690 times)

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few more questions..... again, again.
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:00:39 pm »

So after playing DF for a good long while i think I've gotten down exactly how i want my awesome palace to end up.  I've ran into the problem of there not being enough things to kill.  I open up the caverns, sometimes there are megabeasts, sometimes there aren't.  I rarely see titans, more epic goblin invasions would be awesome.  I don't believe I'm setting up my world correctly.  I tried the world gen thing i made it evil everywhere but sometimes the caverns still don't have people in them.  I've embarked in evil lands, still not evil enough for me.  Also i read something about evil fotressi's in mountains how do i get into one of those bad boys, i've never seen one.

So how do i make the game more challenging.  As i said im pretty sure im not making the world correctly. 

Thanks again for all your help as usual!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: A few more questions..... again, again.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »

Orcs. add in the orc mod.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:47:10 pm »

The more your fortress is worth, the larger goblin invasions will be. Having a larger population also helps.
Lower caverns will be more dangerous, just dig deeper.
If you kill multiple caravans, civs will send seiges of their own.
If you select an embark site with multiple biomes, the creatures may be less dangerous.

And finally, there is a mysterious construction under a single embark tile, right above
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You just have to get lucky.

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:29 pm »

dang well i guess i'll keep hoping for a glorious demon fortress.  having 50 master sword/hammer/marks ect dwarfs vs a stupid human invasion is just about a waste of time, of course if there was 200 humans vs my 50 it'd be much better :0  I will google the orc mod, and i have dug all the way to ze bottom of multiple maps only to not run into any dag on monsters, mabe some of those fire lizzards which a miner can kill.  Also i once

I shal attempt the orc mod!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:41 am »

Oh blah, why isn't anyone giving him the good advice?

1) Breach hell. Try to survive the initial rush. Bonus points if you later colonise hell.

2) Get the Fortress Defence mod. You are now guaranteed a flood of invaders from 11 hostile civilisations. Go to the modding subforum and you'll find it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:46:48 am »

can I add the fortress defence/orc mod in my current game?
I don't think so cause that would require new civs, but... yeah =]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:53 am »

can I add the fortress defence/orc mod in my current game?
I don't think so cause that would require new civs, but... yeah =]

No, new civs definitely require a world gen, heh.

Though i DO recommend fortress defense, having been playing it for a while myself.

However I also recommend going into entity_default in the raws and removing the [CLOTHING] tags from all nondwarf races, you are going to be dumping so many body parts and moving so much equipment you won't have time for the clothing goblins, humans, and elves drop.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »

Eh never mind.

Although as long as I'm posting: Is the orc mod still as brutal as it was in 40d?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:31:41 pm by Absentia »