Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Angband- *Identify* thy roots.  (Read 3465 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Angband- *Identify* thy roots.
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »

I can find no dedicated threads to vanilla Angband on this board, therefore I shall create one. (Yes, I checked Curses subforum as well.)

I grew up on Frog-Knows. I don't think I exceeded 500' back then without trapdoor or Deep Descent shenanigans (Games are hard when you're six!)

Does anybody play it anymore?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Angband- *Identify* thy roots.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:18:16 pm »

I play it a bit but I can't seem to really enjoy vanilla angband like I enjoy Nethack.  I haven't gotten very far, maybe past 100' feet.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:34 pm »

I've played Angband before, and many of it's variants. But it feels like it's missing something that Nethack has. I don't know what, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Though I think I'll give it another go right now. Wish me luck.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:57 pm »

Oh, hey, unenforced race-class! *dwarven mage dies* Yeaah..Nethack spoiled me.

Ahh, nostalgia...let's try a kobold rogue instead.

Much better.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »

What are deep descent shenanigans?

Also, have any of you dudes played MAngband? It's real time multiplayer Angband! It's pretty fun in groups, way funner than normal Angband.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »

What are deep descent shenanigans?
Scroll of Deep Descent drops you 2-10 levels deeper in the dungeon. Being the use-ID-happy child I was, I'm sure I had...issues...running into these.

IF I hadn't learned to carry Recalls.

Also, have any of you dudes played MAngband? It's real time multiplayer Angband! It's pretty fun in groups, way funner than normal Angband.
Nope, haven't. It sounds like it'd draw the same response Diablo does- removing the roguelike "sit and plan every move".

By the same token, of course, see Diablo (2X)s' popularities. I can see it working.
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:02:18 pm »

Multiplayer Angband could kick ass, although the planning could be an issue.
Shoes...

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »

Im ready to try up Mangband.
Might make it fun in multiplyer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:53 pm »

Multiplayer Angband could kick ass, although the planning could be an issue.

Like, say, Mangband? Never played it, but it's there. There's a few more multiplayer roguelikes meandering around, but I can't remember any at the moment. There were also a couple of MUDs that was basically roguelikes, Pits of Angband or something? Angband map/item generation with standard hack'n'slash MUD combat. The one I managed to play any was pretty impressive, but they all seem to be defunct these days. Was a bit of a downer when I got around to checkin' on 'em and they had all went up in smoke.

I've spent far too much time on angband variants, though. I started roguelikes on one of the very early versions of zangband, iirc, and I've at least died a few times on most of them, which is actually vaguely ridiculous. There's a junkload of *band varients.

Steamband, cthband, Portralis (Actually a PernAngband -- ToME, these days -- fork, and radically different from Angband's playstyle, but still...), and Furyband are more-or-less my favorites among the ones I've played. Furyband and an older version of Steamband (When water naturalist regen was flipping insane) are the only ones I ever won with... and even then, only once a piece, both ridiculously cheaply (Around the corner morgoth kill in the former, lightning-storm (iirc) artillery from the other end of the map in the latter. Good stuff.). Hengband -- and whatever it is that it was based off of -- was also awesome. *bands need more stuff like Heng's classes. Ninjas were flipping awesome.

There was one that I keep forgetting the name of... ah! Kamband. That one was vaguely awesome, but absolutely ridiculously hard -- item damage is in by default, and the more damage you do, the worse the item comes out (Certain race/class combos, golem/werewolves ferex, could destroy their starting weapon in something like two hits). There's even an option to have artifacts operate under the same rules; imagine disintegrating Ringil or something on a cave lizard's skull and you get the general idea. Lots of other neat stuff; multiple town maps, randomly generated wilderness, multiple quest lines... it had a lot going on, with the caveat that it's even more brutally difficult than normal Angband.

As for base angband, the original? Meh. Kinda' boring :P Awesome considering the time it came about, the same with rogue and moria and junk, but so much more has been done by now...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:19:24 am »

I occasionally play a very old and somewhat customized version of Zangband, from before it got the overworld and multiple dungeons.  I have my entire OS/2 install from 10+ years ago on a virtual machine, and the only thing I still do with it is Z.  Because of nostalgia, really.

I enjoy starting a game by artifact-spawning The One Ring, picking it up on move 1 and wearing it on move 2.  It makes for an interesting start, given the exp drain and aggro.  And a quicker game overall, no grinding for the basic resistances, as It grants immunities.  Less grinding around stat-gain too.

I've never played a more modern Angband than that.  I've got TOME installed but never fired it up I think.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

I would totally be down for a Bay 12 MAngband thing. HOW HARD COULD IT BE

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:12 am »

Awesome! I have to install it in right now.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:23:53 am »

I've spent quite a bit of time playing Sangband, a variant that uses a skill-based character development system rather than classes. (Somewhat similar to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup in that any character can learn any skill and your race determines how easily you improve them.)

I've never really got on with Vanilla because I appear to have a curious prejudice against fixed character classes and silly restrictions on priests using swords etc.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:52 pm »

I would totally be down for a Bay 12 MAngband thing. HOW HARD COULD IT BE

A tip: if ever you see more than one kobold appearing on the edge of your sight radius, START RUNNING.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:49:15 am »

Perhaps we should do an event over the DF Steam group? That way, we can get everyone together at one time?
*would not be a part of that everybody*
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2