Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863710 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 2/29/12 see first post)
« Reply #1350 on: March 09, 2012, 12:13:34 am »

-snip-

Various members of the community, such as splinterz, have compiled their own "unofficial" versions of DT, seperate to the main release by Dwarf Engineer. I doubt layouts from one version are going to work with other versions. Bear in mind that any versions of DT that aren't released by Dwarf Engineer are potentially more likely to contain broken or incomplete features, and are not necessarily going to be supported or updated on any kind of regular basis. Personally i would suggest just waiting until the main version incorporates the changes of other versions, but if you're impatient then feel free to muck around with things, and i'm sure splinterz, and others, are open to feedback on their particular changes/versions.

don't get me wrong, I love it.  I'll pm splinterz.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 3/6/12 see first post)
« Reply #1351 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:39 am »

so you'd like to have the option when applying custom professions to copy the custom name to the nickname, to the profession nickname, or not at all?
Right. I like to use nicknames instead of profession names as it helps me sort through to find who I want easier. I guess since the nicknames are all lined up instead of appearing after an arbitrary length middle name..

I also like to see, say, that my hauler has become a legendary bone carver, maybe I'll change him to that. I don't like hiding their profession with custom names.
i'm not sure how useful this would be since you can already accomplish it by setting the profession, and then changing the profession name / nickname, albeit it's a few more steps. maybe a few more people will chime in on whether this would be practical feature to add.
Well changing the profession name is easy, but AFAIK there's no way to change the nickname part. I have to manually go thru every dwarf and remove his profession name (DT won't accept a custom profession with no name), then change his nickname to Hauler or whatever. Needless to say, painful.

I only ask because I figured it would be quite easy to do?

ETA: In fact, while fiddling with this, I found a bug. If you try to set a custom profession to no name, it'll moan about not being able to do so, and then the profession will "disappear". It'll still be listed on the side, but you can't edit it, and it appears blank if you try to change a dorf to it. A DT restart fixes it though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:44:22 am by Yaotzin »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1352 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:14 am »

What does it look like when it highlights a vamp?  'Cuz I have that enabled, and 126 dorfs, and noone's highlighted....

you need to be running my unofficial branched build, and it will highlight cursed dwarves with a purple background once you've turned on the feature in the general options.

There's a problem with dwarf therapist from splinterz.  When I go to grid views and try to create some custom views.  I choose willpower for example, and it shows up as social awareness, it's workable, but a pain.  There apparently mislabeled in grid views.

-snip-

Update
As a side note, it would be nice to be able to create our own custom columns.  I was hoping to create a close combat grid view based on DGC, which I was able to do.  I added recuperation as well as disease susceptibility.  But what would be cool is if I could create my own variable that has the average of all those stats.  The closest thing I can do is create a script, but I have to set a threshold.  I can see what the averages are (not without DGC).

Update 2
Here's a weighted script I was working on

(((d.strength()*1.2)+(d.agility()*1.2)+(d.toughness()*1.3)+(d.willpower()*.7)+(d.spatial_sense()*1.1)+(d.kinesthetic_sense()*.9)+(d.recuperation()*.8)+(d.disease_resistance()*.8))/8)>1300

note: those smiley's are x.8

the only way i was able to reproduce your attribute column issue was to use an old custom view, with the new build of my branched version. i just tried adding a new attribute view and it's working properly in 34.04 and 34.05. if you've just been copying over the layout files and not using the new executable you might have this issue as at one point between 34.01 and 34.05 the ordering of the mental attributes changed.

in regards to jobs i've been toying with a few ideas to rank dwarves by utilizing the script engine to evaluate user defined expressions similar to what you've shown above, so we'll see...

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:12 am »

please put in main the ability to nickname more dwarves at once like in splinters' (i think it's his one that allows it)

Don57

• Bay Watcher
  • Commanding Fortresses Since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:59 am »

please put in main the ability to nickname more dwarves at once like in splinters' (i think it's his one that allows it)

OMG, YES!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

There's a problem with dwarf therapist from splinterz.  When I go to grid views and try to create some custom views.  I choose willpower for example, and it shows up as social awareness, it's workable, but a pain.  There apparently mislabeled in grid views.

-snip-

Update
As a side note, it would be nice to be able to create our own custom columns.  I was hoping to create a close combat grid view based on DGC, which I was able to do.  I added recuperation as well as disease susceptibility.  But what would be cool is if I could create my own variable that has the average of all those stats.  The closest thing I can do is create a script, but I have to set a threshold.  I can see what the averages are (not without DGC).

Update 2
Here's a weighted script I was working on

(((d.strength()*1.2)+(d.agility()*1.2)+(d.toughness()*1.3)+(d.willpower()*.7)+(d.spatial_sense()*1.1)+(d.kinesthetic_sense()*.9)+(d.recuperation()*.8)+(d.disease_resistance()*.8))/8)>1300

note: those smiley's are x.8

the only way i was able to reproduce your attribute column issue was to use an old custom view, with the new build of my branched version. i just tried adding a new attribute view and it's working properly in 34.04 and 34.05. if you've just been copying over the layout files and not using the new executable you might have this issue as at one point between 34.01 and 34.05 the ordering of the mental attributes changed.

in regards to jobs i've been toying with a few ideas to rank dwarves by utilizing the script engine to evaluate user defined expressions similar to what you've shown above, so we'll see...

cool, AnnanFay of Dwarven Guidance Counselor is going to get with you on scripting for dwarf therapist, cuz she/he's working on professions as well.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83112.msg2509024#msg2509024

By the way, I didn't realize that some attributes had different averages, so I need to adjust the weights so they all come out to be the same number before I apply another weight to give some more value.

About Grid Views:  Originally, I was having problems getting attributes to show values correctly UNTIL I re downloaded your splinterz package and used that solely.  Now that is fixed, but the Grid layouts are having issues when choosing attributes.  No changes to layout ini's, just used what came with the default.

Update to my former formula
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Average of all attribute dwarf middle values is 1380.736842

Another question.
Why is it when I create a script, and I go to edit scripts.  Nothing shows up?

Update 3:
The formula should be something like this...

for each attribute:
((Attribute Value x Factor) - 1380.7368421053) x Weight)
  This gives you a weighted distance from the attribute center (i.e. center is the dwarf average for that attribute).
  Averaging all these values gives you a weighted average from the center.

Formula: ((Attribute Value x Factor) - 1380) x Weight)            

Examples:

Here's the new formula:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:15:32 pm by thistleknot »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1356 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:22 pm »

well i've got a working prototype with a method to use scripts to create a 'role' column. however thistleknot i've tried out your formula (what role is this exactly supposed to fill?) and i'm getting mostly negative numbers (4/113 dwarves have positive results).

the way i have it setup is you want a formula for the role to generate a rating/value for a dwarf. even better if it's a percentage between 0 and 100 and then i can ensure all the drawing types will also work.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 09, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »

well i've got a working prototype with a method to use scripts to create a 'role' column. however thistleknot i've tried out your formula (what role is this exactly supposed to fill?) and i'm getting mostly negative numbers (4/113 dwarves have positive results).

the way i have it setup is you want a formula for the role to generate a rating/value for a dwarf. even better if it's a percentage between 0 and 100 and then i can ensure all the drawing types will also work.

the role I was going for was close combat dwarf.
Original close combat uses
strength, agility, toughness, willpower, spatial_sense, kinesthetic_sense I believe

I added
endurance, recuperation, disease_resistance, focus

If your getting mostly - numbers then I'm not sure what's going on (maybe one of the d.attributes() isn't typed in correctly, so it's missing an attribute that's reducing the average by 1 attribute?).  Maybe I have the center off.  What formula did you use?  The one I posted today?  Because the old formula had the center's off.  Maybe I have the center's off.  Maybe my whole formula is whacked.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I would have to spot check it when I get home.

One could do %'s with the formula, but standard deviations would have to be brought in.  And the %'s would only be in below threshold or above threshold.  And how many standard deviations away I guess.  However, I don't have the standard deviation on dwarven attributes.  I'm not sure what min/max values are.

Also, the formula I'm using is similar to how the changes were incorporated for attributes to display the attribute in red or black for below/above center.  Same conceptual thinking, so I think players are not going to have an issue with it if it were a column listed as "close combat" dwarf.

Some people might not like my weights tho.  So a simple non weighted one might be desired.  Some people might also not like my additional attributes I've included ontop of what DGC used to use.  I'm hoping to be able to create this in dfhack somehow.

Reference for why I did what I did:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:39:28 pm by thistleknot »

DVeL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 09, 2012, 01:51:40 pm »

I have a request (especially to splinterz, since his work is the most operative  :))

There is one very important military parameter - dwarf size. It determines, if he can use some heavy weapons, like pike, halberd or maul, if he can carry battle axe and a shield simultaniously... And also influences the combat a lot.
It has two sub-attributes, heigth and width, which can be found in description of dwarf appearance (like "tall and muscular" or "short and scrawny"). So, i think, it would be quiet easy to add its numeric value to dwarf therapist. Or at least just add this "short and scrawny" in "Dwarf details".

And what would be totally godlike, is to add a new "weapon-wielding" table, with "weapon types" (there is not so much of them) in columns. And fill it with red diamond, if dwarf can`t wield this weapon, small black - if he can wield two-handed and big black - if he can carry in one hand. This table is available on wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon

May be it would be a little overloaded with black diamonds, because dwarfs can carry most of the weapons, but what is important - it will allow military fans like myself to create "SWAT" elite teams of grenadiers =)
And also answer some forum topics like "why dwarf doesn`t equip shield? What am i doing wrong??" =)

With best hopes... and sincerely grateful for all the work already done  :)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »

+1 to that. I'd like to know if my uber-looking dwarf is actually a useless midget who can't even pick up an axe.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 09, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »

I fixed the formula

by the way, none of my dwarfs fit the bill, I had to filter it for over -135 lol!  But I did verify all those stats are properly factored.  So they are correctly measured away from the center value dwarves have for said attribute.

The problem was I divided the numbers in the wrong way.  So I changed the positions, and everything works now.

Update: I modified it for over -67.  Those will be your best dwarves.  Apparently these stats are geared to be lower for some reason.  Out of 254 dwarves, none were above 0.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:22:06 pm by thistleknot »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1361 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »

I fixed the formula

by the way, none of my dwarfs fit the bill, I had to filter it for over -135 lol!  But I did verify all those stats are properly factored.  So they are correctly measured away from the center value dwarves have for said attribute.

The problem was I divided the numbers in the wrong way.  So I changed the positions, and everything works now.

i've got similar results (i think?) all negative values. so the way the code is setup, it's pretty useless because there's no values shown/drawn for any of them  :-\ the values are also quite large (-550) for some of them. again, it would be really nice to have formulas for roles which result similar to the dgc (0-100%)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:57 pm »

I don't understand.  -550?  That's pretty low.  I verified the values by individually comparing each stat block in my formula to >0 and <0, and verified that all dwarves either came up all black for that stat, or all red. 

Example:
(((d.strength()*0.920491228)-1380.736842)*1.2)>0
then
(((d.strength()*0.920491228)-1380.736842)*1.2)<0

After I verified them all, I then did another check by seeing if anyone was above 0 for my comprehensive formula.  Nobody was!  Which tells me that the average is below 0 with all these values.

Not too big a deal.  Either the center values reported in attributes for DF are incorrect, or for whatever reason they just average lower.

so I changed the value from >135 to >-67

Try that and tell me what you think.

Update:
Come to think of it, some stats were listing almost no dwarves at > 0 when I was just comparing that stat (yet they were still black, and <0 they were all red).  Give me a second, and I'll show you which ones are the culprits, they could possibly be the ones that don't have their dwarven center's on center.

Well, I guess DT doesn't tell you how many dwarfs fit a filter, so I can't "count" them out of 266 dwarves.

But some of the attributes have their center's off

Willpower has more below average than above

same with
Spatial Sense
Focus

Those are probably why so few are showing up, and none at all when > 0 using my formula.

Update 3:
I found it.  There's gaps in the chart on attributes that I wasn't accounting for.  I have my numbers off!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:41:29 pm by thistleknot »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1363 on: March 09, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »

I don't understand.  -550?  That's pretty low.  I verified the values by individually comparing each stat block in my formula to >0 and <0, and verified that all dwarves either came up all black for that stat, or all red. 

Example:
(((d.strength()*0.920491228)-1380.736842)*1.2)>0
then
(((d.strength()*0.920491228)-1380.736842)*1.2)<0

After I verified them all, I then did another check by seeing if anyone was above 0 for my comprehensive formula.  Nobody was!  Which tells me that the average is below 0 with all these values.

Not too big a deal.  Either the center values reported in attributes for DF are incorrect, or for whatever reason they just average lower.

so I changed the value from >135 to >-67

Try that and tell me what you think.

i think you're misunderstanding me, i'm not filtering values at all i'm just plugging in the formula and displaying the results. it works, all the values are there but having -550 for the least compatible dwarf doesn't display as well as 0 or 1%. it works out even better for all the drawing methods because we can then divide the raw results to get values between 0 and 20. see what i mean?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 09, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »

I was curious as to how you were getting the results too (you were running Dwarf numbers through the formula, how were you doing that?  By hand?).  DT doesn't give the results for each dwarf, but now you should see that the formula should give you a below or above threshold.

How are you going to do %'s if 0 is the middle?  0 = 50%?  That might work.  I'm not a percent guy myself, I saw the histogram thing in the thread, but I like the way it is right now, big squares.  Mainly because % might be confusing.  % for racial max?  Or game max?  A dwarf prolly can never hit 5000 Strength, prolly reserved for golem's.  But what if someone runesmith's it?  Then display 100%+?

Here's the corrected formula, I just verified it works properly (thank god I'm home).

This formula works for above or below average, but...it doesn't account for the scale that is above average.

For example, a dwarf may have a higher ceiling range (higher upper limit, say average is 1000, max is 3000, but minimum is 0).  The only way to account for this, is to factor the value when it's above 0, in the prior example, prolly a factor of x2 when the value is above 0.  Confusing, but for the basics, it works.  However, I do not know dwarf max's.  The problem gets worse when you have multiple attributes with different ranges.

It is possible to do %'s if Dwarf Therapist supports IF/THEN statements, and it would be even better if it supported variables (I'm not sure if it does).

Then we could compare if the attribute was above the average, or below the average.  And then scale accordingly to %.

And do the same for each stat.

Then average all the %'s
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:31:36 pm by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 192